Can anyone help with my Cricket, please?

Started by Madam Steph, June 29, 2011, 08:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madam Steph

Will I have to give up tonight?

I have disconnected my HH and cant get the jubilee type clip off of the propane pipe. It came already connected to the HH and as there doesn't appear to be any way to unscrew the clip, am I right in assuming that it's a 'one go' clip?
I have cut the propane pipe now to remove the HH from the pipe, but if there is a way to reuse the clip, does anyone know how, cos I'm chomping at the bit to start using my Cricket  :(

hollergrafik

If it's a lemon clip, 2 squeezed points either side the it's a one use jobby

Madam Steph

Thanks, Kay.
I feared as much,
Where will I be able to get one from, please?

MangoBeads

hollergrafik

And you will need a good pair of pliers too, I couldn't do mine, got hubby to do it.

Madam Steph

Thanks, both.
I will have to suppress my glass lust until tomorrow  :)

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Special Kay on June 29, 2011, 09:01:33 PM
If it's a lemon clip, 2 squeezed points either side the it's a one use jobby

Unless you are very careful.  I hadn't got another, couldn't get another or a small jubillee clip so paid my gas fitter to sort me out.  He got the old one off carefully and refitted.  Seems to be doing fine and isn't leaking.  He did charge me a fair bit though (his idea of 'not much' and mine are different, obviously) then told me of a place in Weston-s-Mare who'd have done it for free!  Still is done now, you just need the right tools and a bit of effort.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Redhotsal

Eek - to be honest - unless you're competent at doing this sort of thing I would be inclined to take it down to your nearest welding supply place and get them to put the new hose on. The clips you are referring to are one use only and they're not easy to put on, without getting leaks. I certainly wouldn't trust myself to do a job like that and if you get a decent welding supply place they will check the line for leaks for you.

Madam Steph

Thanks Sal and Blue Box.
After spending the evening labelling up masses of glass and 'inventorying' them, my glass lust has subsided and I'm ready for bed.
I will tackle it all after work tomorrow xxx

fionaess

Go to your local builders merchants and buy a small jubilee clip - they are pence !!

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Redhotsal

Quote from: fionaess on June 30, 2011, 12:36:54 AM
Go to your local builders merchants and buy a small jubilee clip - they are pence !!

And also not legal, strictly speaking.

fionaess

I await in fear and trepidation a raid from the propane police  ;D ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Redhotsal

Sorry..... ;) Didn't mean to wag my finger at you! I once tried to buy all the stuff including the dreaded jubilee clips at the welders and got a lecturing about how bad they are for gas use and how you wouldn't be "allowed on site with even a sniff of a julbilee clip", etc etc.
I think the problem is that they don't grip all the way round evenly.
Anyway - you rarely see the real police around here so I bet the Propane Police are an even more rarefied bunch!  ;)

hollergrafik

Madam Steph

May I ask another small favour, please?

My car repair man has given me what I need for both hoses and I now have them both connected securely to the cricket.
I want to test for leaks with the soapy stuff, but before I turn on anything (<<<<<<<<coward), last night before bed I was reading a posting from Sean (Off Mandrel) where he gives comprehensive instructions on turning it all on (torch/oxycon/propane, right from step one.
Blow me if i can find the darn thing now.
has anyone kept the link to that posting, please?
I doubt I will get anything tried and tested till later this evening now, as I have to leave in an hour for my Silversmithing class