Main Menu

etching clear glass

Started by jammie, June 28, 2011, 12:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammie

Just wondering about etching clear glass. I have a nice clear bead with a pattern on one side a bit of murrini and some dots and the core shows through, now I don't mind this but just wondered how it might look etched, does etched clear look frosted?

Sulis (Hazel)

Yes, it does, although I don't have any pics I can show you. The longer you leave it in the solution the more opaque it gets (up to a point). If you leave it in for a long time make sure it's not resting on anything or you'll get a spot that's not etched as much. I suspend my beads to be etched from a bit of cotton into the container of etching fluid, but I only do small amounts and there are probably far better ways than mine!

Sounds like it will be great etched  ;D

xx
Hazel x

jammie

Thanks.  :)
I have etched a few beads but not many and not clear so think I'll try one, should I maybe cover the murrini in nail varnish so it stays clear do you think?

Mand

Yes you can do that - use any colour nail varnish - it just scrapes off with your fingernail afterwards when you want to remove it.  If you don't like the results of murrini shiny you can always put the bead back in the etching fluid.  ;)