Which kiln

Started by Lotti, June 22, 2011, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

So, I have a lovely bead cube which is a brilliant kiln, but most of the time I am making 32mm lentils and can't get a huge number in at once and would like to be able to make more in one day (alongside the two hole buttons, BHB's and large disk beads I am working on).  I could I suppose put them in annealing bubble and batch anneal, but am not very good with big beads in this for some reason.  I am starting to think that really I need to get a bigger kiln and because I have been soooo happy with my bead cube and all the help Lee has given to me I have been thinking about the Maxi (also cos it will all be programmed nicely for me before I get it and I won't have to worry my blond brain about it - and I can get a pink one!), but... it is very expensive.  Then of course there are the paragon kilns, but I am not sure.  Would be interested on other people's thoughts on the subject.  Thank you. :) :)

awrylemming

I have a paragon, but am starting to find I need more space, so am also looking at a Maxi.  Which is probably not a lot of help  :P

Madam Steph

::)
Don't make me say it (although the new one is behaving wonderfully)  :)

Redkite

I have a Paragon SC2 and I find it's fine, fits easily onto my desk so I can garage, but if I'm on a really productive day I have to juggle things round a bit. It's more like a cube shape inside, whereas I think the Maxi is longer, so perhaps more suited to a long row of mandrels.

SilverGems89

I think you would still struggle and SC2 or kilns with a "square" shape and would be much better off with a maxi (or a bluebird) in my opinion though i would always go with a kilncare kiln, just for the fact that we all know how good the customer service and care is  ;)

Helen G

Maxi everytime, I had an SC2 before I upgraded to a maxi. I was going to get a beadcube as well for days when I only had a little bead time but the difference in electicity consumption is so small (according to my DH) that it wasn't really worth bothering with so you would probably easily sell your beadcube on here to help fund the Maxi  ;)

Lotti

Quote from: Helen G on June 22, 2011, 05:29:11 PM
Maxi everytime, I had an SC2 before I upgraded to a maxi. I was going to get a beadcube as well for days when I only had a little bead time but the difference in electicity consumption is so small (according to my DH) that it wasn't really worth bothering with so you would probably easily sell your beadcube on here to help fund the Maxi  ;)

Oh dear, the rather expensive Maxi is looking more likely!  Interesting about the consumption as I was wondering if it would be prudent to keep the cube for days when you only want to do a few or just little ones, but of course that's alot of money tied up in kilns which I really cannot afford! :) :)

MadelineBunyan

If I could have a maxi I would. for the days I make loads, or eventually teach, or make things like today that have sticky outy bits and don't want to be too crowded.

can't really justify it right now, but the customer service from the kilncare people is second to none.

that said, my sc2 is very good, you can get a decent amount of stuff in, and the couple of times its gone wrong (in 4 or so years?I think.) it has been sorted out pretty quick.

Beady Bean

Hi Lotti, can I be really cheeky?? If you were considering selling your beloved bead cube I (and the rest of the beading community) would be v interested!! ;)
Ruth x

Blue Box Studio

Depends on your space.  I haven't room for a Maxi so settled for an SC2.  Works fine for me (so far!).
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Nikki

If you are only running one at a time then go for the Maxi and just get the kiln not the controller, this would cut to cost and give you the flexibility, but you could only use one at a time.

tinker

I'm still without kiln too Lotti  ;)

Shirley

I started with an SC2B, which is a great little kiln. I could get a lot of beads in, especially if I rearranged them as I went on. I made a rack from some steel mesh so I could stack them. Unfortunately it broke and I couldn't sort it out myself, so decided it was time to buy another bigger kiln.

I went for a Maxi, and love it. Lee and his Kilncare colleagues went out of their way to get it to me quickly. It has loads of space, has a built in rack so you can stack beads really easily, is easy to programme and really importantly for me, the external dimensions and the weight let me move it myself. I love it. Wouldn't have a pink one, though!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

fionaess

I've got a Paragon SC3 with a bead door and a window and its brilliant - loads of space inside

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Lee - Kilncare

So Lotti, I'm presuming you lovely MAXI is now cooking away stuffed full off beads like a good un  ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732