Writing an Artist Bio

Started by Blue Kiln Beads, June 21, 2011, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejralph

"What starts out as contemplation soon becomes manipulated into a manifesto of lust, leaving only a sense of unreality and the dawn of a new order."

- I was searching for the words to describe my work, and thanks to that site, I have them. Phew!

Artist bios should be written in the 3rd person. Tailor them for your needs too, so write with the end-game in mind. Are you applying for a grant? If so, chances are, they won't care about your love of glitter when 8 and how it lead you to where you are. They will care if you won any awards or have held exhibitions etc.

If you are searching out new customers - maybe they want to connect to you as a person, so they WILL care about your pre-teen love of sparkly stuff and maybe will care less about the awards and exhibits, which could go simply in list form after your text.

Things to put in might include : how long you have been doing this, what lead you to doing this in the first place, where you hope to take it, any formal training, any achievements (published a book, mag article, got a great commission from a dept store, or whatever.) What you consider your unique product is, signature peice if you will.

Emma