Writing an Artist Bio

Started by Blue Kiln Beads, June 21, 2011, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Kiln Beads

Just wondering if anyone has written a bio and whether they have any tips?  I am going to start approaching outlets and I was thinking that a little bio/info page about me would be a good way to introduce myself before meeting face to face....?  ???
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

ScarletLeonard

I wrote a 50 word one for the GBUK journal, I plan to expand on that for my main Bio.

Tips....erm I nagged my husband until he came up with something that sounded good.
Actually i do have a tip have a good stash of coffee and choclit to accompany you as you settle in for the day to write it.

Blue Kiln Beads

Yikes, thanks for the advice.  There is something about writing this sort of thing that makes me cringe with every sentence.

Wish me luck.
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

ScarletLeonard

yes it's so hard to talk about yourself as an outsider looking in on what you do.

I stuck what hubby wrote on my artfire bio for now (and incase something happened and I needed the paragraph again.)

Zeldazog

If you're struggling to write an artists statement, have you tried this:

http://www.artybollocks.com/#

;D ;D ;D ;D

ScarletLeonard

Oh that's fantastic Dawn

"My work explores the relationship between the tyranny of ageing and vegetarian ethics."

Jennie Lamb

That is so funny!!  I wonder if Anyone would comment if you posted that!!
I sat down and thought about what I liked to read about other artists mad a little list and then started from there, nothing highbrow for me!!.....where I learnt Lampwork, who with, classes I have taken, what influences my designs etc.... Good luck imagine u r reading it not writing it and u will get there x

kerensky

Very funny, might have to pinch a few phrases, just for a laugh!

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Lotti

I had to do one recently for a shop that's selling my stuff, it is very short I must admit.  It might be worth having a look at what folks have put on their Etsy sites and/or websites.  I don't think mine was very 'artistic' if you know what I mean! :)  Good luck with it. :)

ARBeads

Here you go instant pretentious rambling http://www.artybollocks.com/#  dont blame me  ;D
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Steampunkglass

That link is brilliant! I know I should write one too, but this'll do!
QuoteMy work explores the relationship between the tyranny of ageing and life as perfomance.

With influences as diverse as Kafka and Joni Mitchell, new insights are crafted from both orderly and random narratives.

Ever since I was a student I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of the zeitgeist. What starts out as contemplation soon becomes finessed into a dialectic of defeat, leaving only a sense of chaos and the chance of a new reality.

As temporal impressions become distorted through boundaried and academic practice, the viewer is left with a statement of the corners of our existence.
I have no idea what half of that means, so it's perfect as an artist statement as when I read other peoples I never understand half of them anyway!  :D :D :D

ScarletLeonard

I think what I did write makes sense

"Scarlet initially began lampworking to compliment her jewellery designs.
Over time she has found her love purely in making beads, expanding her range to include bead sets and small sculptural pieces. Her work has developed it's own personality, attempting to bridge the gap between the Art Deco and Hellenistic styles."

Now I have to do it all over again for just the jewellery side. Hopefully by the time I'm finished I can just glue them together and have something fantastic.

Les

My work explores the relationship between consumerist fetishism and vegetarian ethics.

With influences as diverse as Rousseau and John Lennon, new insights are created from both simple and complex meanings.

Ever since I was a student I have been fascinated by the ephemeral nature of the human condition. What starts out as contemplation soon becomes corrupted into a dialectic of distress, leaving only a sense of failing and the chance of a new order.

As momentary replicas become transformed through diligent and diverse practice, the viewer is left with an impression of the inaccuracies of our future

;D ;D ;D :D

Zeldazog

Quote from: ScarletLeonard on June 22, 2011, 08:00:45 AM
Oh that's fantastic Dawn

Good innit?

I'm currently doing a course with David James Ross who created the words for this last year.  He was telling us last week how, having been spotted by Dom Jolly, it's gone suddenly gone viral after a year.

He's a brilliant tutor too  ;D