mapp gas cans

Started by turnedlight, July 03, 2007, 02:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

Anybody know what to do with the empties?!
kathryn

Caroline

*rowanberry*

Dont just throw them away, its dangerous and at the tip dispose of them in the right place.

You need proper gas disposal - and some tips do it, some dont so dont be surprised if you cant find anywhere to get rid of them. I had an awful time trying to get rid of mine as my local tip wouldnt take them. We tried b&q where we bought them and they wouldnt take them back (even though legally i think they are obliged to!). My husband works in the waste industry and couldnt find anyone who we could take them to and in the end they are sitting in a box a year later in the council waste depot until someone knows what to do with them!

Myself, i'd dump them outside b&q when its closed! LOL! they do actually have an obligation to do something about the empties.
Claire

turnedlight

Yes- cos I reckon the tip will try and charge me, or refuse them.. I'll look into the obligation thing, I did buy them at B+Q.
kathryn

turnedlight

The tip took them! I had to vent them completely first, and they said to just stick them in household waste. I think that's a bit of a shame, all that metal gone to waste, but it wasn't the problem I thought it would be.
kathryn

Dickie

When Sarah was using them I'm sure the local plumbers merchant (who she also bought them from) would take them back.. as they are refillable AFAIK.
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

BeadyBugs

My local tip took them no problem, they've got a gas canister recycling section, so it was fine.  It does seem to vary from tip to tip though.

HP x
Helen P

Redhotsal

Stop using the damn things. They're fiendishly expensive - switch to bulk propane. at least you can renew the propane bottles...

Shirley

hear hear! One of the best things I ever did. :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

turnedlight

I am looking into it- I heard that you can use propane on a hothead without adding oxygen.. Will it burn as hot as Mapp though? Cos I don't find that is quite hot enough after you lose the initial high pressure of a new can.
kathryn

Shirley

It seems to burn hotter. It's certainly quicker, but that might be to do with the pressure, which stays constant until the cylinder is about to run out.

It costs quite a bit to get the bulk kit, but it soons earns its keep as bulk gas is way cheaper than MAPP.

Have a look on Tuffnell's website for the kit. :)

turnedlight

kathryn

Shirley

Just to give you an idea, I am into my 50th hour or so of a calor bottle that was £11.99 to fill. That would have taken about a dozen MAPP cans, so it's a good investment, and a lot more effective (no more puddles on the floor from drippy frosty cans!) ;D

Redhotsal

Quote from: turnedlight on July 31, 2007, 05:20:24 PM
I heard that you can use propane on a hothead without adding oxygen.. Will it burn as hot as Mapp though?
It doesn't burn as hot so you have to work a teeny bit slower - but you get used to it really quickly and after a session or two you don't notice the difference. The big advantage is cost and also that you won't get the pressure drop that you get from a small canister (pressure drop = smaller and smaller flame). Although you'd have trouble running a HH on a small canister of Propane (which is why the Mapp is better) you will find it is much easier to run a large bottle of propane with the HH than a small canister of Mapp. Don't know why this is - must be something to do with thte pressure and volume that a big bottle offers.

turnedlight

Thank you- that really explains it well :) :)
kathryn