Main Menu

Not OK Corral !!

Started by cbeadies, June 17, 2011, 04:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbeadies

... I mean coral really.  >:( >:( Yesterday I thought  I made a nice dotty set using a few warm colours including lovely coral stringer. Raced to the kiln this morning but disappointed to see all the coral dots and spacers are just...well, murky faded beige colour, not at all the rich coral that I was expecting.
Do others find this, or is this another 'getting to end of canister' propane problem, I am still on a hothead but I was careful to work quite far out in the flame. Any advice appreciated, I love this colour in rod form but I'm managing to ruin it!  :-\

Dragonfire Glass

Coral is one of those colours that 'greys' in the kiln.
Try soaking them in cilit bang lime & grime or coke, or etch them.

MadelineBunyan

this coral hadn't greyed but I've had some that does and its so disappointing.

these are etched coral:

JaySpangles

I have been using coral lately, and for me it seems to get more colour if you work it for a long time, and if you get it very hot.  I have found it difficult to get consistent results though. I am on a minor/oxyconbut I know AnnaSpanna has had success on her hothead.  She always has more success than me :-(

cbeadies

Thank you for the replies, I will definitely try soaking the beads.
Might have a rummage in my glass stash and see if I have another rod which may be a different batch, it is such a lovely colour when it stays coral.

Lovely beads Madeline!  :)

MadelineBunyan

yes, I had noticed my newer batch was more prone to sludgey greyness, these were the older batch.

tis a very very batchy glass, which is why frantz separate them out and give them different names...but the ones I have aren't that different :(