How to Decide Which Torch?

Started by Scubeadoo, May 29, 2011, 08:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scubeadoo

I'm currently using a hothead on bulk but have come to the conclusion it's time to upgrade to a big girls torch. The problem is deciding what to go for.
Does anyone have any good advice or does anyone have a teaching/studio setup where it would be possible to combine some tuition with the chance to try a couple of different torches to see what I get on with the best.

thanks
Marion
www.etsy.com/shop/Scubeadoo
www.folksy.com/shops/Scubeadoo

Scubeadoo

OOh just spotted the thread below    'what torch next' - some interesting discussion in there , looks like a bobcat might be a good one,
www.etsy.com/shop/Scubeadoo
www.folksy.com/shops/Scubeadoo

Redhotsal

I teach on Minors but also have a Bobcat. I like the versatility and overall ruggedness of the Minors, and as the Bobcat is a new addition I was a bit wary of it at first but I'm starting to like it as much. There's quite a lot of difference in price between the two though - and I don't know why that is. For ease of use and value for money the Minor gets my vote but the Bobcat makes good use of the oxycon. One of my Minors is eleven years old now and is still going strong. Not sure how well the Bobcat would stand up to eleven years of abuse.
I'm in Hinckley, Leicestershire - you're welcome to come and try them both if you wish.

MadelineBunyan

My bobcat is about five and doing well!

I've recently got a minor too and I'm getting to love that as well

I like them both for different things, I've just been using the bobcat making teeny tiny kitty beads, I don't think I'd be using a 1" piece of hair thin stringer on the minor!

I've sculpted big dragons on both torches. done many a silverglass bead on both. main difference is the tight focussed flame you get with the bobcat, which makes it nicer for stringer work. otherwise there seems to be not much in it.
that said, If I could only have one, it'd be the bobcat.

I'm planning to teach at some point soon, hence 2nd torch in my new studio, but its not 100% ready yet.

awrylemming

I went for the mega minor in the end, and love it, but I make big beads in general and want to do more boro in the future.  I do a lot of flowers, frogs etc which are perfectly achievable on the minor, but haven't managed to work with very thin stringer on it as yet.  That's probably lack of experience rather than the inability of the torch however.  It does seem a very personal preference, and I'd take Sal up on her offer if I were back in your position.  :)

ScarletLeonard

I'm still on a HH on bulk. Tried a cricket at FO and didn't get on to well with it.
I like Colette's minor I can manage stringer work on it quite easily (few wobbles but I know that's me)

MadelineBunyan

to clarify - I can work stringer just fine on the minor, I can just do it closer, and in some cases that does mean better, on the bobcat.

The Tartan Trout

I used a cricket when I hired studio time at Manda's, then when I got my own I got a Minor...I love it :)

Blue Box Studio

Having just bought the Minor I'm falling in love with it.  Having tried a couple of Crickets in class and 2 Bobcats I didn't like the flame reducing and needing adjusting - lasted all through a 2 hours class.  Madeline kindly let me invade and try her Bobcat and Minor, hence finally making a decision.  Lets not talk about my stringer work, on a HH or the Minor!  Granted it's not like me to pass up anything pink or purple, ort named after a cat, but I'm happy.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lotti

I loved the cricket when I learned on it, but now have to confess that my minor wins hands down. :)

JKC

I have a scorpion, which I love, started on a minor, which was also very good. 

helbels

I have a cricket and love it - tried a minor at Flame Off and didn't like it at all, and have tried to work on one since and we didn't get on again!  I think it's a really personal thing - you will sit down and have a go and instantly know which one you prefer!

Madam Steph

Never having ever SEEN a torch before, let alone used one, I Tried 3 at Flame Off in April.

HH, then a Cricket then a Minor.

I bought a HH bulk set up there from Martin, but when I can afford the oxy and the torch, it will be the Cricket. I LOVED  it. It was so much faster and easier.

Sarah9959

Hi

Went from HH on bulk to Cricket on oxycon earlier this year and am very happy with it - although have never tried Minor so cannot compare.

Made my choice on the basis that the Cricket was especially designed to run on oxycons.

Sarah

Brink Beads

Great topic, definately helpful xx
Sara

www.brinkbeads.co.uk