Anyone with silver know-how HELP.... - UPDATED with pics...

Started by Blue Kiln Beads, May 25, 2011, 10:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Kiln Beads

I am doing a silver jewellery making course, I have only done an afternoon so far and I've made a ring!  Ideally what I wanted to do is make a bangle with some of my beads threaded on.  I am sure I have seen a bangle like this but the tutor says it won't work because the heat from the solder torch will cause the glass to shatter.  I'm sure I've seen it though, can anyone help please....?

I thought I would add some pics of what I got up to during my 2 day silver smithing course.  I didn't get to try adding beads to a bangle because i forgot to take some sand with me....  ::)  However, this is what I did get up to:

Daisy Ring in Sterling Silver by Blue Kiln Beads, on Flickr

Twisted and D-shape Bangles by Blue Kiln Beads, on Flickr

The accompanying words are on my blog if you fancy a read.
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

mizgeorge

Lots of ways to do it. You just need to keep the beads from heating up. Water, wet sand (my usual choice), cool paste and just accept that that small section of silver won't be heated (which means it will take a little longer to get the solder to flow at the joint. Make sure it's really well closed (binding wire helps with this) though.

Blue Kiln Beads

Thanks George.  So do I rest the beads on some wet sand on the work station while I solder...?  Think I might be abit out of my depth being new to silver..
Yvette Goodridge

mizgeorge

Not on, in. Put some wet sand in a shallow dish or cookie cutter and literally bury the beads (and that bit of the silver). Lots of other ways of doing it, but it's a cheap and efficient option!

Blue Kiln Beads

Ok, I'll give it a go....... thanks again  :)
Yvette Goodridge

MadelineBunyan

George, your fab tips and tricks and your generosity in sharing them never ceases to amaze me!

Nick

Hi,
You could use a small piece of tube and put a thread in it like a nut then thread the end of the wire. This would need to be glued with something like thread lock. Basically you make a nut and bolt if that makes sence. George's solution to solder would be much stronger though.

Amber

So, George...when are you going to write a book?!  ;)

jammie

Kaz

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

kathsd

me too, would look good on any bookshelf, there's lots of helpful tips from George on here (and other forums I've noticed!)
I may have to try this, mutters to self about 'spare' time!! :D
Kath

Hazel

Thanks George for that brilliant advice - why didn't I think of wet sand?? we've tried water but then there's the problem of supporting the item.. and getting the angle on the flame right.. I knew there had to be a better way...- I'll try it out soon.

And as for a book - it's a brilliant idea, You're so full of useful advice and answers to questions that others of us hadn't dared ask (or to admit we don't already know!!)
Hazel

LesleyW

Definitely room on my bookshelf for that particular volume  :)

Blue Kiln Beads

Thanks for the pics Jo.  I didn't get around to trying it today, there is still tommorrow morning.....  I think it's something I can play with at home though.

Hope to post some pics of what I have been up to soon  :)
Yvette Goodridge

Blue Kiln Beads

I thought I would add some pics of what I got up to during my 2 day silver smithing course.  I didn't get to try adding beads to a bangle because i forgot to take some sand with me....  ::)  However, this is what I did get up to:

Daisy Ring in Sterling Silver by Blue Kiln Beads, on Flickr

Twisted and D-shape Bangles by Blue Kiln Beads, on Flickr

The accompanying words are on my blog if you fancy a read.
Yvette Goodridge