Hot Head/MAPP Gas problems :(

Started by Rhiannon, May 22, 2011, 12:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhiannon

Ok, yet another newbie question, sorry!

I got myself all set up in the utility room this morning and picked out the colour rods that I wanted use etc, lit the torch made one bead that took me a while, got started on another bead (base colour) and the flame suddenly went out.  I re-lit it quickly and managed to get the rod off the mandrel but it broke the bead release in the process.  I got going on another bead and just as I got the last of the dots (three layers of dots) onto the bead the flame went out again just before I could melt the dots down.  This time it wouldn't relight so couldn't finish the bead.  Hubby shook it a little, I came back about 5 mins later and relit the torch straight away without a problem and it stayed lit!

Still plenty of gas in the canister (only bought it yesterday afternoon and was first lit about 45mins before it first went out).

Has anybody had this problem?  It's really frustrating as I don't know why it is doing it!

Veebee

When the cannister gets really cold (as it does) the pressure drops which is what causes the flame to go out. Many people have their cannisters sitting in a bucket or tube of water to slow don the cooling process. Hope that helps!
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

sarah t

invest in a bulk gas set up ......its the only way to stop mapp misbehaving

Clair

I agree with Sarah - MAPP is a real pain and very dear.

binty

If you've got one of those wheat filled bag things, heat it up and tie it round your mapp bottle, I found that helped a lot, but I swiftly moved onto bulk also!

Rhiannon

Thanks for the replies all.  I think I may have to invest in bulk fuel but I really wanted to have a good go with MAPP first to make sure I enjoy it enough to keep going.  I am just finding it frustrating at the minute and wanting to give up as it seems everything is against me.  I know it is all just a learning curve and practice practice practice but im not a very patient girl ;)

I will see if I can find my microwable heat thing and see if that works.

ScarletLeonard

If you want to stay on cannisters try the mapp sized propane, it's not as fast as the mapp but not far off and a little less temperamental.

plus it's cheaper :)

GaysieMay

I agree with all that's been said, in the long run it may be a false economy to keep trying with the mapp.  I don't think the bulk set up is that expensive - have a look on here

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d100.html

www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Hazer

I got a tip to put a teatowel in the dryer for a bit, then wrap that around your Mapp cannister...but as someone who recently converted to bulk, I have to say that it's worth it. I never could get my Mapp to go for longer that 15 minutes without freezing, no matter how warm it was :)
ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

Madam Steph

Rhiannon,

I have just started this past month with a HH , and I know it's not a lot of help to you atm, but I was advised to go straight in with the bulk propane.
If you dont want to go in that direction yet, you can do what others have suggested re a bowl of hot water to warm up the cold canister, or have a 'back up' MAPP canister and swap them around as and when.
Give them a ring at Tuffnell's if you decide re the bulk propane.
They are very helpful  :)

Rhiannon

Many thanks for all the replies!  At least I know now what is happening with the gas now.

I went back to have another go yesterday afternoon, wrapped the bottle with a tea towel (although didn't heat it up so didn't really work) and managed to make another bead with dots and as soon as I took it out of the flame to go in the vermiculite it went off again but at least I managed to finish the bead this time!  I left it a few minutes and went back to it to make some small beads but only managed one simple bead before it went out again.

I have fished out the wheat pig thing to heat up and wrap around the bottle so will have another go tonight but I am a little frustrated knowing that it could go out at any minute!

I was really enjoying making the beads yesterday so I think I may well go down the bulk propane route although the money I have got to be able to do that was going to buy me a grinder for my fused glass work so not sure.

I know what I am like with new things and go through fases of loving new crafts and spending lots, although glass has always been the thing I love the most (been making jewellery for 4 years and I only work in glass or crystal and I have tried making beads in other mediums such as polymer clay but it has never really stuck with me!).

fionaess

What you need is ....
A propane cylinder - preferably from Flo Gas because they don't charge for the cylinder, just the gas
A length of propane tubing
A 4 Bar regulator
An adaptor for your hothead - a small piece of brass which screws into your hothead and allows you to connect the tubing
A flashback arrestor - if you wish
Clips to join the whole shebang together.

This can be purchased from Tuffnells as a complete kit or you can purchase the individual items, put them together and save yourself some money.
If you do a search on FH you will find lots of posts on the DIY system.

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

Rhiannon

Thank you Fionaess, I have had a look at some previous posts and one has links to ebay items for the kit.  I was looking at Tufnells kit last night and looking at the parts that they sell in the hope I could put one together myself (with Hubby's help) but all the forumers have done all the leg work for me so I will definately be going to bulk fuel now! and still hopefully be able to buy my grinder for glasswork :)

I am a very Happy Bunny!

toodlesandbinks

ahh I feel your pain just a week in to starting this I am having the same problem just about to order the kit myself to go bulk with hubbies's help...should have done it a week ago really, but hey a lesson learned.
Hugs
Kay
xox