foam inside oxycon querry

Started by Steampunkglass, May 05, 2011, 03:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

My oldest oxycon suddenly stopped today, and it looks like it was the motor overheating. I've taken it appart, given it a good clean to get rid of as much dirt as possiable, and make sure the internal fan is working, and it's going again (although it's over 3 years old, so not sure for how much longer!)

Above the motor was a panel with foam on it, and from heat/age/gunk the foam was perishing and was turning to sticky mush. In a conversion with someone a while back, they'd had a motor fail when some of this foam fell on the motor and melted, so I've got rid of this foam, as it didn't seem to be much use and I didn't want this to happen.

My question is this; what is this foam for, is it to catch dust, or reduce noise, or something else? All I can see it does is help insulate the motor and keep the heat in - something I really don't want!

Dragonfire Glass

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Failariel on May 05, 2011, 03:42:53 PM
it could be an air filter?
doen't seem to be, as far as I can tell, it just covers an internal panel, and there is loads more lining the inside  ??? I wonder if it's just to help keep the noise down?

julieHB

I am fairly certain it is NOT an air filter, Glenn! I think the foam might be there to protect other parts from heat/vibrations. if it is three years old you might want to send it to Martin for a service? The internals of my oxycon was in total crumble (including the foam) just before xmas - as it was, the courier managed to totally wreck the oxycon as it was sent back from service, but the internals had all been replaced (and Martin & Co. gave me a total new refurbished lovely oxycon after the wreckage)

if you don't want to send it off, make sure you do change the internal and outer air filter, and after three years, maybe the fan as well - can make a huge difference.  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Steampunkglass

I had thought of sending it away to Martin, but I can't really do without it right now. Since it's little spring clean it's been behaving itself (touch wood!), and I found there was a little leak in the oxygen line out so that might have added to the woes. I did give both of them new filters a little while ago.

However I have found the main probable reason - a short powercut this afternoon! All the digital clocks are flashing, it was one of those second trip outs but it's enough to mean I have to reset everything in the house!

However if it does go again then it's off to Martin-the-oxycon-Doctor for a check up!  :)

julieHB

Crossing fingers for you and your oxycon!!  :) :-*
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

stuwaudby

Sorry about the dealy in replying.

The foam is purely for sound proofing, the only bit for filtering is under the small panel at the top where the filters are. I have stripped the internal foam out of both my machines (and they are not that much more noisy).

Redhotsal

Yep, it's just for soundproofing. Get rid of all the crappy bits and hoover it out.

Steampunkglass

Cheers, I've pulled out the old bits and given it a good clean, also rechecked the seal on the oxygen pipe out and there was a very small leak there which I suspect has been causing some of the problems, it seem all right and happy now (touch wood!)

Redhotsal

If it's an older style one it might not be a bad thing to replace all the internal silicon hosing. We've done that on mine and they work a lot better. Problem is the hosing becomes brittle and starts to crack. Then the thing won't work properly. We've also taken out the little inline filters (the flying saucer looking white objects). They're bacterial and so are relevant for medical use but not necessary for glass making and will only impede the O2 flow.

Steampunkglass

Cheers Sal, I didn't notice the filters but will have alook when I next have to open it and might take them out. The tubing inside looks a little aged but seems ok for now, it was the one outside to the torch that had worked loose and I hadn't realised.  :)