Making the jump to Bullseye

Started by NRichards, April 26, 2011, 06:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NRichards

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the correct area, if not I'm sorry. I have a Paragon Fusion 16, and having only ever worked in float I am keen to try Bullseye. I am a little concerned about the huge cost of bullseye sheet glass but if I was to give it a go I was wondering what people would recommend to get me going. I've been given a little money as a bit of an investment I suppose so want to spend it wisely. I love the transparent colours of glass but equally like using opaque glass to back pendants and the like. Sometimes I can be little heavy handed with frit as I love the texture it gives. I'm still relatively new to fusing and am still learning the ropes but I have been put off float for the difficulty in sourcing compatible glass and the expense incurred of just getting frits and confetti's that cost the earth for just one colour. I also hate how some pieces of float devit while others don't. In the long run, given how many duff pieces I end up with I am wondering if it would be cheaper to make the jump.

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Best Wishes

Naomi

Sarah A

Hi when I started with bullseye I was on a tight budget and opted for the student pack of clear glass, random dichroic and the frit sticks all here on this page from warm glass
http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/accessory-glass-fusing-glass-packs-c-98_55.html?page=all&sort=20a&disp_order=6, I also got the small stringer tube and a larger sheet of tekta for making coasters etc.  I found it a good way of starting out and experimenting.  It's also good to keep an eye on the warm glass site as it often has things on special and from time to time has sheets of glass on offer (often 30% off) and this is when I usually stock up on these.  Your first order is postage free.  Hope this is of some help.

noora

Most of the Bullseye glas I've used has worked fabulously. I've never had had compatibility problems or devitrification problems in single firings (I seldom fire the same piece twice, so I don't have much experience of that). If you mostly make pendants and similar small things the cost per piece isn't that extreme until you start over-using dichroic glass like I do :-)

Start out with some colours you think you'll like working with. Buy small sheets or sample packs at first, then buy larger sheets of the ones you find you use a lot. If you buy dichroic, the scrap packs are great. I use a lot of clear and buy it in both 2 mm and 3 mm thickness. Some pinks and violets are terribly expensive due to the gold content. They look great, but you may want to wait with those if you're on a budget.

I always fuse small samples of each colour in both full fuse and tack fuse for future reference. That's especially useful with the striking colours. Sometimes I also make samples of the transparent colours on top of white, and of opaques covered with clear since that can affect the colours a bit.

Bullseye has some great info on the "Education" section of their website: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/  I've especially found Technotes 4 and 5 very helpful.

Black Heart Beads

I have only ever used bullseye as I was lucky enough to get a load with my kiln. I love it but can't compare it to float as I have not used it.

It has been a steep learning curve not having fused much before. I have quite a large kiln and have mainly been making larger items so have got loads of offcuts mainly in cranberry, black, pink, clear and white (I'm rubbish at cutting glass) if you want a kilo of off cuts that would be suitable for pendants you are welcome to some for the cost of postage, it would give you enough basic colours to get started and see how you like it.

I also recommend the warm glass sales

Pat from Canvey

Offcuts of sheet Bullseye are great for making beads.

NRichards

Hello,

I am so sorry for not getting back to you sooner! My email notifications have failed to notify me!!!

I'm going to have a proper look at the Warm Glass site and so a bit of reading.

Black Heart Beads: Does your offer of off cuts still stand or am I way too late!? I'm not sure how much postage would be, do you know?

Thanks

Naomi

Black Heart Beads