if i wanted to do this what wire would i need?

Started by flowerjasper, June 07, 2010, 11:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flowerjasper

I would love to have a go at spirals like this, i have brought some 0.8 and 1mm silver plated wire to practice with, (hobby craft has just opened up near here, so i brought a tiny hammer too  ;))
should it be  round wire ?
i also have the encyclopedia of wire jewellery techniques by sara withers,
first attempts on wednesday when the boys go to their dads  ;)
sandy x

mizgeorge

flowerjasper

sorry  :-[
me being blonde again!

sandy

mizgeorge

I'd start with 1.3mm wire for something like this - and you might want to try copper (which is likely to be 1.25 if you go to wires.co.uk) rather than plated - the plating will crack and split if you forge it. Round wire is perfect - you just forge the edges which are going to be subject to most stress to stop them from unbending.

flowerjasper

will get some copper wire george,
i did think about the plating....
for ear wires whats the best thickness?
you are going to get fd up with my questions very soon  :D
sandy

ScarletLeonard

Copper is certainly a better option it's so much easier to practice with and easier to see the details of the end result too.
To do something like that I would hammer the areas I want flat with a flat brass head then go over the whole wire with a nylon head to harden all the parts rather than just the stress areas.

Earwires apparently 0.71 is the optimal thickness most people will use 0.8mm since it is a little easier to buy though I do prefer 0.6 I find it doesn't pull the ear holes as much but it isn't very forgiving if it isn't fully hammer hardened.

Scarlet xx

flowerjasper

a new craft for me so lots to learn  ::)
thanks for the earwire info scarlet  ;)
am on wires uk at the moment i hope i get the right stuff, a selection of copper wire  would be the best,
sandy x

mizgeorge

I'm not keen on 0.7 for earwires - it's tough to get it to hold good shape without overforging, which can leave sharp edges, so I tend to use 0.8, and usually fully hard at that. I have a slight preference for Argentium over Sterling.

MadelineBunyan

does no one else draw down their wire for earwires? gets it to the thickness you want and then is perfect hardness!I do about 0.7 (or the imperial equivalent...my drawplates are OLD!) because its what I personally like. I find thinner ones can look/feel as though they're cutting your earlobe like cheesewire!

(I do have to remember when drawing down wire to open the door behind where the vice is or I smack my elbow into it!  ::) )

you can get drawplates cheap on ebay, just be sure to check the sizes. theyre not that good quality, but they work fine.

oh, and a tip...shiny polished hammer = less work to make the thing you are hitting with it nice and shiny!

hmm, do I want to spend my time polishing one hammer, or every item I ever hit with it?

ScarletLeonard

I don't have the space to do my own, I'm already close to bashing my elbow every time I pick up a glass rod. :(

On wires they do have the selection packs which are great because you will get 0.4mm all the way up to 1.25mm
Actually I also have a 3 meter length of 1.25 you can have if you want some extra. (You may have gathered I'm not keen on super chunky.)

Scarlet xx

fionaess

I use .8 hard round for earwires as well - I find it works perfectly and no wiggle or bend  ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

jammie

I had a look on wires.co.uk and can only find largish quantities of wire, I want some square for making a fibula for myself and some 0.8 for earwires (as you have said is best here) anwhere else good I can buy this in smaller amounts please. Havent much cash at the mo and just wanted to try them out. (I have some copper to start with already)

mizgeorge

I think wires usually sell just a metre of wire. Otherwise, palmer metals are good for small quantities.

jammie

I could only find 10m of sterling in the 0.8 at about £37 quid ish,in wires.co   the fine silver is in metres but fine silver would be too soft for the earwires wouldn't it.
Had a look on palmers and they seen to do by the metre.
thanks  :)