Favourite methods of stringing necklaces?

Started by flame n fuse, May 29, 2011, 07:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flame n fuse

I have made a batch of beads which are good enough to use for a necklace  :). there are 7 beads of graduated sizes (that's code for 'I can't make them uniform') from about 12 - 15mm diameter and I also have made some beads about 8 mm diameter to use as spacers. The beads were made on a mix of mandrels - 1.3 and 2.3 mm. I want to string them so that they are just on the front part of the necklace and the stringing material is visible at the sides. I like leather thongs, but the 1.3 holes are too small. I have used some coloured cotton cord, but it looks a bit flimsy in relation to the beads.

I am beginning to realise that there's a lot more to making a necklace than just making the beads! What do other people like to use?

Blue Box Studio

If you want something visible, would rattail cord be any use?  Might not get that through the small hole though.  I use soft flex but it's not particularly attractive.  I think you can get a sterling version though.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

shaz

You could string your beads on beadalon/accuflex etc then finish the ends as though a full necklace and then add cord/thonging/chain to make it the length you want ;D
Sharon x

MadelineBunyan

theres someone that does silicon/rubber type tubing, was it chrystal rose?

so you could use thinner stringing material, and then a length of tubing each side of your beads, like a giant bendy bead.
depends how it would look with the beads in question. don't know what colours it comes in.

I've seen some nice necklaces that as shaz said, had a section in the middle that was on thinner thread, and then attached to ribbon, or plaited leather cord or chain. these look really nice if you use some flattened rings to attach the strung section to the back part.

failing that, you'll just have to make even more beads (with bigger holes)...what a shame!

JaySpangles

You could thread your beads onto beadalon or similar, ending with crimps onto a metal ring/jump ring, then loop that onto pretty ribbon, either to tie at the back with a bow or finished into ribbon cramps and a hook (see www.sowzeredesigns.com for more info), or alternatively - which I have done lots of times, is to thread onto beadalon, then make up the rest of the length with seed beads that have also been used as additional spacers.  Both ways look good.

ScarletLeonard

For a simple necklace just I get two strands of tigertail and just pop the beads on with daisy spacers. finished with a little hook and eye clasp.

I do a lot of trio sets like that for some quick and easy necklaces and they seem to be quite popular in the shops too.

mizgeorge

Whatever stringing material you go for, you really need the holes to be uniform in size for them to sit right. Either use tubing to fill the larger ones, or drill out the smaller to match (you can use your bead reamer for this, just make sure to do it under water), which would let you use a larger diameter waxed cotton or similar.

You can also string the front section onto wire, which you can then adjust the shape of to suit, ending with a turned or wrapped loop. Then attach cord, rubber, silk, chain, whatever you like to the two ends to make the undecorated part of the necklace.

Or if you want something shorter, just put the beads straight onto a snake chain (this always looks surprisingly nice) or cable choker.

flame n fuse

Thank you for all those suggestions. I can't decide which one to try!