Paragon Fusion 16 - extension lead?

Started by NRichards, December 26, 2010, 04:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NRichards

Hello Everyone,

Hope you all had a good Christmas.

I've just received my first kiln, a Paragon Fusion 16 kiln the other day but the electric cable wont reach the plug socket on the wall.

Does anyone know if I can plug it into an extension lead?

Thanks

Naomi

Lee - Kilncare

at 2.4kw the kiln should be fine running off an extension lead.
If it is a coil up type lead make sure it is fully unreeled as coiled up extensions can generate heat.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

NRichards

Thanks Lee,

I made up a heavy duty extension lead and tested it with something else but the kiln wont turn even turn on when I plug it in. Not sure if I'm missing a blatantly obvious on/off switch in my lack of experience!

So frustrating, its like having a new toy but no batteries for it!!

Thanks

Naomi

Lee - Kilncare

Ah I see, best to contact your supplier with that one.

Good luck,

Lee

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

NRichards

Haha, its turned itself on now, mustn't have been plugged in all the way!

Just need to figure out how to preheat it to dry it out and then hopefully I'll be away!

Cheers

redheron

Do you like your Paragon 16? Are there any problems? I am in the market for a bigger size kiln. I have a small Paragon SC2 and love it. what do you think of the 16? thanks, donna in the Florida Keys

NRichards

Hi Donna,

My Fusion 16 is great. I'm still getting to grips with firing schedules and have only used float glass at the moment (can't really afford anything more expensive). It's amazing how much you can fit onto the shelf but you can only really slump one large bowl at a time (30cm x 30cm) as there's not enough space for other moulds.

On average I think its uses about £2.50 per firing so its quite expensive for the bigger stuff but when I do littler things its worth it. Having said that, we are on an electricity key so probably pay well over the odds!! Firings usually last around 15 hours.

Hope this helps.

Naomi

♥♥Tan♥♥

This is great information, especially the price per firing, I think this is the sort of thing we all worry about when purchasing a kiln!

Lee - Kilncare

Hi Naomi, are you sure about that £2.50???? Sounds expensive. ???

TWITTER @kilncare

Warm Glass UK

We've done some tests here and it costs around 50p per firing for a full fuse (10p per Kw hour and it uses around 5 hours of Kw electricity). £2.50 is alot even if you are on expensive power.....

Pippa

NRichards

Hmmm, the first few firings were definately around that much. That said, I have just kind of got on with it although I did a firing the other week and it didn't seem to be as much. I much prefer the sound of 50p a firing though!!

Warm Glass UK

We do negotiate pretty hard when we renew our utilities contracts!  ;)

10p per Kw...

Pippa