Casting molds and fill weights

Started by Aurorabelfast, March 19, 2011, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurorabelfast

Hi I'd be grateful for any advice on this
I bought a ceramic mold to cast shapes in, and it has no instructions other than "Fill weight;32g"
Is this as simplistic as it sounds ie place mold on scales, and fill with frit and scraps to 32g or am I missing something?
And when using frit and scraps is it ok just to use full fuse schedule ? Ive only ever used slumping molds before, never a fill mold
Also if there is anything vitally different I need to watch out for?
Sorry for all the questions  ::)
Nic x

Zeldazog

Have you tried asking where you bought the mould from what they mean?

There are lots of factors to consider when deciding on a schedule - not least, what type of glass you are using.... you also need to consider thickness of final piece, and thickness of mould as these can all affect cooling and annealing.

Try looking on the Bullseye website for there tech notes and tip sheets, they're a useful starting point, or simply Google for glass casting schedules - there's lots of information out there - there are so many variables with glass fusing and casting that there will be a certain amount of trial and error anyway.

Aurorabelfast

Hiya thanks for replying
It was warm glass I bought it from, I might drop them an email, there is so much info online that I'm totally confused  ???
It's just bullseye frit and scrap
Nic x