Tumbling tips

Started by GaysieMay, March 18, 2011, 07:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaysieMay

I recently bought a tumbler on ebay and as yet have no shot to go into it.  I'm guessing Cooksons will have some, but just wondered, if I put completed pieces which include lampies in it, will the lampies get damaged?  I'm guessing they're more for polishing components rather than the finished article?  I know I'm going to have to play with it to find out, but any DOs and DONTs would be very much appreciated. ;)

Thanks Gay x
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

helbels

Not sure but I know that Julia (Pandanimal) tumbles her lampies to get her "Stoned" series look - you can check them out on Etsy - might give you an idea...

emvee

I've put finished pieces in with stainless steel shot and they were all fine.

alchemist

I tumble finished pieces all the time with stainless steel shot and I haven't had any problems ;D
Karen x

GaysieMay

Thank you for getting back to me, I've seen those beads that you mentioned Helen, I really love the affect, but wouldn't necessarily always want it! ;D  I think I'm going to enjoy playing!

Thanks again everyone - will let you know how I get on x
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com

Ilona

So does the shot not damage the beads? I have a tumbler but don't know whats the best to buy. I would love to use it for polishing silver findings and finished pieces, but also fancy doing some sea glass/ etched looking beads too.

GaysieMay

I know you can make them look like sea glass, as I think Ciel put some in the gallery a while ago that had been tumbled, but maybe she put something else in with them?  I'll see if I can find it. :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com

GaysieMay

I found this lovely tutorial on Ciel's blog, here is the link for a real sea glass look:

http://www.cielcreations.co.uk/blog/tutorials/tumbling-glass-beads/

Going back for a good read myself!
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com

Galloway Beads

I got my shot & soap from a place called Manchester minerals - good prices and fast delivery.

www.gallowaybeads.co.uk
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gallowaybeads

GaysieMay

Thanks Elaine, I stumbled upon that site myself, still haven't got round to getting any yet.  Will bite the bullet later. x
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com

Nia

I generally use my tumbler (with stainless steel shot) for cleaning up silver, especially after soldering my tags onto jumprings and chains before sending pieces off for hallmarking, as well as cleaning up silver from pieces that haven't sold and are being taken apart. But I clean up this bracelet every couple of months in the tumbler, and it comes out gleaming every time with no damage to either the lampwork (which has raised dots) or the microfaceted gemstones.

Polka - A Collaboration! by gemwaithnia, on Flickr
I wear it a lot, and tumbling it is the only way to keep it looking good, so I reckon if tumbling is ok for this piece, it'll be fine for anything (except pearls!).
Hope this puts your mind at rest Gay!
Nia xx
www.gemwaithnia.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/gemwaithnia/

mizgeorge

Tumbling lampwork is fine - in fact, my general rule is that if it's not tough enough to survive tumbling, then it's not going to be up to everyday wear anyway!

In simple terms, you can tumble anything that is harder on the mohs scale than steel, which is about 5.5. Glass is around 6, so will be undamaged. Silver is 2.5 0 3, which is why it is polished by the action of the steel shot burnishing as it tumbles.

Stones which are porous (like turquoise and emeralds), friable (like kyanite and some labradorites) should never be tumbled, nor should organic material (pearls, wood etc).

If you want to tumble etch glass or polish stones, you need a separate barrel, and tumbling grits - one grade is fine for glass as you want a matte finish. Stones can be polished by working through the grits over a period of weeks. It's really important never to contaminate the contents of one barrel with the other though - grit in your metal barrel will do silver (or other metals) no good at all!

Ilona

GaysieMay

Yes thanks George and Nia, I love the bracelet by the way, gorgeous. x
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com

GaysieMay

I got mine off ebay it's the kind used for tumbling beach stones and small gems.  They are quite simple when you look at them a fan belt and a roller type thing - I think my father in law will be able to maintain it for me if anything goes wrong! ;)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com