The Wonders of Time Machine Fuel (or Cillit Bang as otherwise known)

Started by Zeldazog, February 18, 2011, 03:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeldazog

I made a beautiful red fused and slumped dish a few weeks ago but was struggling to remove patches of kiln wash from the reverse.

I'd even tackled it with a diamond hand pad, now got a lovely satin finish on the back  ;D ;D - but still left me with a few little patches of batt wash that I couldn't get to.

I remembered reading about Cillit Bang for beads, so I got a bottle and gave it ago - MIRACLE!  I've scrubbing at this dish for ages.... now I know better (and I will be trying it on those three beads me and Ashley made that are still stuck on the mandrels!)

ScarletLeonard

I've not heard the cillit bang tip.

does it do a good job on removing bead release?

Good news for your dish though even if you had to learn the hard way :)

Zeldazog

Quote from: ScarletLeonard on February 18, 2011, 07:26:16 PM

does it do a good job on removing bead release?

I recall reading on here that it was good for getting stuck beads of mandrels, and also for removing grey scum from turquoise beads?

♥♥Tan♥♥

shaz

Sharon x

Zeldazog

It is the Lime & Grime one that does the trick, isn't it?  Well, that's the one I bought and it seems to have worked...

Mind you, I do wonder exactly what unhealthy things are in it - the fact that it can shift twice fired on batt wash, that wouldn't come off with wire wool or a green pan scrubber, after soaking in soapy water for days - but a few minutes of this and well, bang and the batt wash is gone!  I dread to think what nasties are in it really (not something I will be using at home on the work surfaces!)

Hamilton Taylor

We use it for all sorts of cleaning and degreasing, I've no idea what's in it, but it doesn't half sting in a cut!

Blue Box Studio

It's great for most things but I can't get it to work on the grey stuff on turquoise beads.  Should I be soaking?  I left sitting in Grime and Lime for an hour but didn't work - so is the loo cleaner Grime and Lime the right stuff, or the kitchen spray?  I didn't know there was so much to choose from until I told DH to get me Grime and Lime and he came back with rather a lot of cleaner for one little bead.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Zeldazog on February 18, 2011, 09:08:19 PM
It is the Lime & Grime one that does the trick, isn't it?  Well, that's the one I bought and it seems to have worked...

Mind you, I do wonder exactly what unhealthy things are in it - the fact that it can shift twice fired on batt wash, that wouldn't come off with wire wool or a green pan scrubber, after soaking in soapy water for days - but a few minutes of this and well, bang and the batt wash is gone!  I dread to think what nasties are in it really (not something I will be using at home on the work surfaces!)
It probably has an acid base, but what's the worry about acids. You put vinegar (acetic acid) on chips and citric acid (lemon juice ) on pancakes and oh yes you have hydrochloric acid in your stomach to help digest food. (Think about acid reflux and the chalky i.e. alkali pills you take to combat it. It's the strength of the acids you should worry about. Rhubarb has oxalic acid in it that's why we don't eat the leaves.

Zeldazog

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on February 19, 2011, 04:06:59 PM
. It's the strength of the acids you should worry about. Rhubarb has oxalic acid in it that's why we don't eat the leaves.

I think that's the point Pat - my dish was soaked in acetic acid (or should I say white vinegar) over night and nothing. 2 minutes in cilit bang....

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have to say, imagine a house that hasn't been touched for two years, the toilet left uncleaned and the kitchen had food fried in it every day, plus, two heavy smokers.........................Cillit bang shifted it.

Stinks like a bugger, stings like a bugger but it does the job.

★★Terri★★

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on February 19, 2011, 02:26:08 PM
It's great for most things but I can't get it to work on the grey stuff on turquoise beads.  Should I be soaking?  I left sitting in Grime and Lime for an hour but didn't work - so is the loo cleaner Grime and Lime the right stuff, or the kitchen spray?  I didn't know there was so much to choose from until I told DH to get me Grime and Lime and he came back with rather a lot of cleaner for one little bead.

Sue I soaked a couple of copper green beads that had loads of grey stuff on them overnight and almost all of it went.  I have been using the bathroom grime and lime spray - just sprayed loads of it into a small jam jar, giving it a bit of time to let the froth settle down.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Terri on February 19, 2011, 04:45:16 PM
Sue I soaked a couple of copper green beads that had loads of grey stuff on them overnight and almost all of it went.  I have been using the bathroom grime and lime spray - just sprayed loads of it into a small jam jar, giving it a bit of time to let the froth settle down.

Right, will have another go then. Thanks.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Zeldazog

Quote from: Tan on February 19, 2011, 04:35:48 PM
I have to say, imagine a house that hasn't been touched for two years, the toilet left uncleaned and the kitchen had food fried in it every day, plus, two heavy smokers.........................

Ew.

♥♥Tan♥♥