Minor cleaning/repair

Started by redgirl, February 15, 2011, 07:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redgirl

Hi,
I'm not sure this is the right section, but does anyone know where I could send my minor for cleaning. I've had it about 2 years but over time one of the holes has become clogged, but I can't clear it, lost my original cleaning wire. This has resulted in poor beads and lots of them binned!
Help?
Debra

Dragonfire Glass

Have you tried ringing Martin for advice?

redgirl

No I haven't, but that could be an option thanks. I was hopping that i could sent it somewhere for someone else to sort out!! i have limited time and want to spend it on my new torch?

Redhotsal

You can try and clean it yourself. Unclamp it from where it is and hold it upsidedown when you try and unclog the hole. Reason for this is that the grot or glass that is wedged in the hole should fall out rather than be pushed further in the the torch. You don't really need the original cleaning wire - you can use any other stiff wire or even a strong needle - but don't go at it too hard as you don't want to break the end of the needle/wire off.
Alternatively - you could disconnect the torch and take it somewhere where they have a compressed airline. Very often garages and tool hire places may oblige you - if you're nice to them. Sometimes the pressure of the compressed airline is enough to dislodge the blockage.

Fruddy

Quote from: Redhotsal on February 16, 2011, 11:07:33 PM
You can try and clean it yourself. Unclamp it from where it is and hold it upsidedown when you try and unclog the hole. Reason for this is that the grot or glass that is wedged in the hole should fall out rather than be pushed further in the the torch. You don't really need the original cleaning wire - you can use any other stiff wire or even a strong needle - but don't go at it too hard as you don't want to break the end of the needle/wire off.
Alternatively - you could disconnect the torch and take it somewhere where they have a compressed airline. Very often garages and tool hire places may oblige you - if you're nice to them. Sometimes the pressure of the compressed airline is enough to dislodge the blockage.

Sal, do you know what???  You seriously are the font of all knowledge... I take my hat off to you - there are so many threads on this forum where you are giving out such wonderful advice.... you are such an asset!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I think you're wonderful!

Redhotsal

:-[ Heh!
Thanks Fruddy - just bin there, got the t-shirt, for lots of problems on here.

Lush!

I might try the compressed air idea, thanks Sal, I have a torch with a blocked nozzle too.

I have previously cured a similar problem with a tip from Emma when I rang Tuffnell's for advice: unscrew the torch from the bench, light it (with great care obviously as its not secured) and run till the face is very hot, then plunge the tip upside down in a bowl of cold water. Do this a few times and it should shock any glass out of the nozzle.

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Pat from Canvey

A good tip too Julie but for those that try it, remember to turn the torch OFF before plunging.  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::) Sorry, it just made me laugh to think of someone not turning the torch off because they hadn't been told to do so. A bit like the woman the other day who thought she could make a bead without buying a torch.

Lush!

Good point Pat! See, I'm not that good at stating the bl**ding obvious  ;D ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

redgirl

Thanks all, I'll try all until it works properly x

redgirl

I have done the heating and puttin in water (with care), and yes it worked! thanks everyone.

Alison G

I love you lot! I have molten glass in my minor burner! My bestest friend! I knew I'd find it on here.

How funny though, I dithered about 'phoning you or Julie, Sal, but it was tea time :)

Trying it tomorrow!
NB. Do not touch hot rods of glass, it is stupid.

Alison G

Dunking it works like a dream!
NB. Do not touch hot rods of glass, it is stupid.