Main Menu

Turqouise

Started by DeanWilson, February 11, 2011, 05:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margram

Dean will be welcomed back any time with open arms and loads of smileys :) :) :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Ant

I see his posts on FB and he has been doing his exams, but he's also got a boyfriend!!!  Think he's fine though and the pics of his artwork look really fab.

Moreton

He also said something about moving house last time he posted here so that may be taking his time up.
Pete

Lotti

Quote from: helbels on June 10, 2012, 05:49:37 PM
Um Dean's post is from 2011... Tonksys just replied to it.

DOH!  ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

DeanWilson

Aww you guys!

I'm so touched! You're all so sweet, I'd love to come back and rejoin in all of your glassy goodness. :D Everything's been up in the air lately: you're right, I had a boyfriend (not anymore, he cheated typical!), I've had my exams to worry about (but they're all done now! :D) and...we got a house!

We've been waiting for literally years to find somewhere to move to and the new place is brilliant. It's really nice (well, much much MUCH nicer than the one we're in now) and I can't wait to move in. Hopefully we'll be in within the next week or so!

AND.

Guess what ladies.  ;)

It has a back garden! Well, a courtyard. And I've asked my mum if I can get a shed. Oh yes people, the time has come (well, when I can accumulate the funds) but (eventually) I will have my own shedio!!!! I twisted her arm because it's too unique (in NI anyway!) a skill not to better and would be a massive shame to not only waste what I've learned but also financially, I've spent a fortune on kit and glass! Hopefully I'd be able to set up this time with a dual-fuel torch, I'm getting lots of hours at my job and am getting better at saving so hopefully eh! That's the goal anyway!

You're all so sweet and kind, I've actually really missed you guys. I remember I'd come home and open a few tabs in the order FHF, FB, Email. The little dialogue box saying that you'd got a PM always made me so excited!!! :P

Take care folks, I'll try to get my shed up and running soon and fingers crossed I'll return in a glitzy explosion of beads and gossip!!

Ciao bella!

-Dean :D :D xxxxx

JKC

Hi again Dean, nice to hear how things are going for you, sorry re boyfriend, great re house and shed and exams. Janet  ;D

Shirl

Hi again Dean, we missed you :) :) :) :) :)

I hope you get your shedio :)

Margram

Hi Dean, brilliant that you are back and things are going well (on most fronts, anyway) :) :) :). The shedio will pay for itself in no time 8).

BeeBeads

Yoo hoo Dean!  ;D    Lovely to hear from you again and so pleased that good things are happening for you re new house and SHED!!
Keep in touch and let us know how it all goes ... I've missed all your smiley posts!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bee x

Pauline

Hi Dean, welcome back.  we are coming over to stay in the Mournes next month do you know of any good glassy places to go?

DeanWilson

Just read over this...made me cry. Miss you guys.  :'( x

Les

Margram

I guarantee there were some other damp eyes when they read that, Dean ;)

Keep smiling :) :) :)

Ant

We'll all still be here for you whenever you want to look in .................... ! ;D ;D ;D

Dietmar

Back to topic and some exercises:

Reduction is one of the most common problems on a Hot Head torch for beginners. If you learn to see it while working you can either avoid it or use it as a design element.

Start your torch, please. Look for the color of the flame and see ig it has a pure bue (maybe with a slight purple hue) or it has a turquoise hue. If it has the turquoise hue try to turn it smaller, to the smallest setting it still burns stable. Take a rod of glass (just any will do) and hest the end in the flame untill it glows. Look at the flame without filter glasses and see the real size indicated by the yelow flare. All the other work is done WITH filter glasses.

Let's start with a small to medium sized bead from turquoise (sky blue, petrol green, ...) glass. Melt the glass about two thirds away from the bright blue cone towards the end of the yellow flare. Melting the glass might take longer, but we want a clean color for this exercise. Once the bead is at least in decent shape come out of the flame and look at it under good illumination. It should look uniform in color. Go back into the flame and move closer to the bright blue cone. Watch the glass surface and look for an oily shine. Take the bead out of the flame again and see the red spots. Go back into the very end of the yellow flare and watch the oily spots disappear. Control the result under good light and decide how to finish the bead.

By now you learned how to reduce tuequoise on purpouse and how to remove reduced spots while working. You can draw patterns with clear glass on your bead and reduce it or reduce the bead before drawing the patterns. These are two options to use this as a design element.

The black or pewter coloration, mostly on the bead ends, is the reduction of zinc. It comes out while working a longer time in not-so-hot conditions of a neutral to slightly reducing flame. You can avoid it by working slightly hotter and cooling the bead outside the flame before the next boost of heat. It's very tricky to do on purpouse, but comes whenever you fool too long with a semiheated bead.