Main Menu

Turqouise

Started by DeanWilson, February 11, 2011, 05:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeanWilson

God it isn't a good thing when the top three posts in the "Common problems" thread belong to you is it? :P I was just having a problem with effetre turquoise- I don't know it's proper name but it reacts well with Ivory :)

The problem is that when I work with it it changes colour to a strange orangy colour! And it isn't nice either! I get these ugly orange marks in the glass and it can go into the rod too, making it useless! I'm working on a hothead if this explains anything?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Dean ;D x

helenfc

sounds like you are reducing it a bit Dean :(
Since you are on a Hothead, I think the best thing to do is hold it out further in the flame, so it is working cooler with less propane.
Hope that helps? :)

Katiequiggle

Sounds like you've got too much propane and now I've said that I can't remember the remedy using a hothead.  On my bobcat I'd turn the propane down a bit.  I sometimes use a bit of turquoise to make sure I don't have my propane turned up too high.  Having told you why you'll have to wait for someone to come along and tell you how to stop it doing it now.   ;D ;D ;D  About as useful as a chocolate teapot aren't I.  ;D

DeanWilson

Haha thanks both of you ;D Won't have it as near to that 'blue cone' thing then- it's reductive isn't it? :P

Blue Box Studio

I'm using a HH and I love turquoise and ivory.  I think you are getting too close to the head of the torch and it's bringing out the copper in the glass - at least that's what someone told me when I had the same problem.  I now work about 2" back from the end of the blue cone and don't have problems; can make your arms ache if they are as short as mine but seems to work.  But apparently it's something to do with the copper (and no I didn't do science at school, obviously).
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

sarah t

you can remove the rust colour with cillet bang ....do a search and see what other solutions are out there ....

Blue Box Studio

Didn't work for me, must have the wrong one.  Also found one of my turquoise beads has gone black on the ends, and CB won't remove that either. Think the thread said it had to be the lime and grime loo cleaner, that's what I used.  My loo is very clean though!
Sue

helbels

A very quick dip (literally 1 min) in etching fluid will do it, then scrub with a toothbrush, that gets it off!

Lotti

Always have a problem with dark turquoise, always have, no matter what I do, the only time I managed to get a nice bead was in the early days at Manda's!  I now use quite a bit of light turquoise (well not the dark one) and it is a lovely colour. :) 

Nice to see you back here Dean, been a while, hope all is well with you. :)

Blue Box Studio

I've gone right off it now I'm on dual fuel, just can't get it to play nicely with ivory any more.
Sue

helbels

Um Dean's post is from 2011... Tonksys just replied to it.

BeeBeads

I miss Dean's posts, he's not around much these days  :(   Hope all is well with him.

helbels

Being a teenager, I should think he's probably moved on to something new by now... When I was that age I never used to stick at anything for more than 5 minutes...

BeeBeads

I know what you mean, and I think he was in the middle of exams last time we heard from him too.  It would be a shame if he's moved on to something new because he was making some smashing beads  ;D

Blue Box Studio

It's not that long ago he was on here again.  He did cheer us up though  ;D
Sue