Main Menu

Bracelet disaster

Started by Shirl, February 09, 2011, 10:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaySpangles

It looks lovely as a necklace.  Why don't you make some more beads and do a co-ordinating bracelet?

mizgeorge

Just as a tip for using wire with beads, the simplest way to make the units shorter (and more generous looking) is to use much heavier wire, and turned, or self capped rather than wrapped loops. It's the long skinny wraps that spoil the drape and flexibility of a bracelet design. Using larger connecting rings between units also makes it easier to experiment with different versions and can add other danglies and beads to those connecting rings. If you only have thinner wire and need to wrap, make a double turn for the loop, use no more than two winds round the wire and then wrap back up towards the loop before trimming to add bulk and balance the beads better.

Ikaria by mizgeorge, on Flickr

mosskullen by mizgeorge, on Flickr

It's always easiest to attach any unit with a jumpring (which is removable) rather than wiring directly into another loop. This applies especially if you're using precious metal wire as the only way to alter a direct linked unit is to cut the loop and scrap the wire, which means you can't design on the fly in the same way you can using removable components.

sundoorbeads

Great beadies and the necklace looks lovely- I agree with Mizgeorge! I made the same mistake when I first started out and now keep the links short and on thicker wire! I can't wait to see what you decide to turn those into ;D!

Mizgeorge- gorgeous goodies BTW :D
Keep Flaming! Michelle

Shirl

George they are gorgeous, that is what I am wanting to achieve!

I am learning so I just follwed the instructions in the book, and now realise that it is better to connect the units with jump rings. I will do that in future, and make them shorter!!!!.

I am very low on wire, I only bought 2 thicknesses 20 g and a thinner one as I didnt want to waste my money if I got bad results. I am only practicing!  :D and I do have some copper wire but its quite a bit thicker.

I dont think I will make the bracelet into a necklace, and I havent enough for both, (unless I make more beads ;D)

Many thanks again :)

Shirl

I have taken it apart and tried different things. I do not have enough contrast beads to make a threaded bracelet so I reworked it making the links shorter, and double wrapping as George suggested to make my 20 gauge look thicker and more in balance with the size of the beads.

I added a dangle which is shown in close up and I had to make the clasp as I havent bought any yet.

It feels nice on the wrist and has better movement.

Sorry about the poor photos but the light is not good tonight.

amareargentum

Very nice. You must be pleased  :)

Les

Katiequiggle

That is gorgeous Shirl,  much much nicer and more balanced.  I love it. ;D

mizgeorge

That's waaay better :)
The double wrapping makes such a difference to the whole feel of it - it definitely fits the beads better and makes the whole thing just look so much more expensive!!

Ilona

What a difference the double wrapping makes. It looks really beautiful now.
George, can I ask what gauge of wire you use?

jammie

Thats really lovely now,I like the dangleys. :)

Shirl

Quote from: Ilona on February 11, 2011, 12:37:07 AM
What a difference the double wrapping makes. It looks really beautiful now.
George, can I ask what gauge of wire you use?

Yes I used 20 gauge for the main part and a thinner silver plated wire for the danglies 0.6mm, not sure what gauge that one is.

Thanks for all the positive comments, it really means a lot :) and I think it does look better.

I need to stock up on findings and accessory beads now. :)

shaz

Sharon x

kerensky

That is lovely - gorgeous beads too!

Pat from Canvey

No need to buy clasps yet as the one you've made looks so neat and goes with the overall desigtn.