Main Menu

whats the best way

Started by catriona, January 30, 2011, 01:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catriona

Hi whats the best to seperate 2 parts of a ring. I am making a ring and when i was soldering it must have moved slightly so now the bezel and ring are sque wiff .
Any advice much appreciated .
Thanks xxcatxx

mizgeorge

If you're very brave, you can reheat until the solder flows and separate them. It's easier to hold one part slightly above your soldering board with a third hand or pair of tweezers so the other part will just drop down. However, it's also possible to melt the backing plate or bezel doing this! Then you need to file back the solder and go again.

Unless it's very awkward, I'd be getting the saw out!! You'll still need to file back and tidy up, but it's a bit less nerve racking. It's sometimes better to just accept that you need to sacrifice the lighter part (plate and bezel) to the scrap pot and just try to save the shank.

catriona

Thanks george i,ve tried the melting solder bit but as you said its nerve wracking and i wimped out when it looked like it was getting too hot lol.

I,ll go try the sawing method i,m hoping to save both bits as i need it ready for tue,s as its going to Oz with my son for his girlfriends birthday i only found out last wed that he was going i thought i had till march when she comes over to get it ready .
Thanks again will let you know how it goes .xxcatxx

mizgeorge

Cat - if you're looking to save both bits, err towards the band as you saw. You can afford to lose a bit off that, but not from the backing plate!!

Good luck :)

catriona

Hi George Thanks for advice now succesfully seperated .

Now to try to solder again :-\ .

xxcatxx