Cutting Silver Tubing for Big Hole Beads

Started by Fruddy, December 29, 2010, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruddy

My Christmas present from my family is a second hand bead coring press, which I am hopeful will be here in the next few days.  I have ordered some 925 silver tubing from the US, which again I don't have yet.

What do I need to buy to cut the silver tube into pieces?  Will pipe cutters work, or are they likely to be too large??

Thanks chaps.

MangoBeads

Pipe cutter will work just fine - but then you will need to de-burr  :)

★★Terri★★

I'm not an expert, but I have cut silver tubing before with a saw - the kind that jewellery makers use.  In the silversmithing class I attended we used a little clamp to hold the tube and then cut against the side of the clamp to make sure that the cut was straight.

Can't help but wonder - why did you order the tube from the US?  Tell me to mind my own if you like - but surely somewhere like Palmers or Cooksons should be able to supply the tube you need.

Fruddy

Quote from: Terri on December 29, 2010, 07:10:56 PM
I'm not an expert, but I have cut silver tubing before with a saw - the kind that jewellery makers use.  In the silversmithing class I attended we used a little clamp to hold the tube and then cut against the side of the clamp to make sure that the cut was straight.

Can't help but wonder - why did you order the tube from the US?  Tell me to mind my own if you like - but surely somewhere like Palmers or Cooksons should be able to supple the tube you need.

It was cheaper to buy the tubing from someone on Etsy who was recommended than it was from Palmers, including postage.  Not much cheaper, but cheaper all the same and because I don't need it immediately I thought that I would buy a twelve inch length and see what its like.   To be honest as well, the lady who I bought the press from told me that she bought her tubing from this Etsy shop, that she was fast and reliable so I thought that I would give her a punt.

;D

Fruddy

Quote from: MangoBeads on December 29, 2010, 07:08:42 PM
Pipe cutter will work just fine - but then you will need to de-burr  :)

Thanks Manda, thats great, will go and get one from B&Q.

Got a deburring tool coming as well from the chap who makes the Impress Corer.... ;D

MangoBeads

no worries..... I have always had my tubing from the States for a few reasons ( mainly as when i started coring 3 years ago you couldnt get it over here ) BUT the tubing I use is seamless which makes a difference on the finish ( if you are mega fussy  ::) )

Pixiedebs

Manda, could I ask where you get it from??

Dx

Enchanted Cobwebs

I got a tube cutting jig from cousins which was about £20, you can set the length so you can repeatedly cut the same length. It also works for wire and reduces waste because saw cutting rather than my usual flush cutter approach gives a perfect flat surface either side. One of my better buys!
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Kaz

I have the impress de-burrer and found it is quite difficult to get used to, but if you persevere it does a good job!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

sundoorbeads

I found a deburring bit in my DH's tool stash not sure what it's original purpose was but I gave my copper tubing a few turns with it and it worked like a charm!
He also just built me a coring press so I am stoked to get going with it!!!

Have fun coring!!!
Keep Flaming! Michelle

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: sundoorbeads on January 30, 2011, 02:27:32 AM
I found a deburring bit in my DH's tool stash not sure what it's original purpose was but I gave my copper tubing a few turns with it and it worked like a charm!
He also just built me a coring press so I am stoked to get going with it!!!

Have fun coring!!!

Oh to have a practical husband!  XDH could turn his hand to anything (including younger women, hence the X) but DH2 can only make a mess unfortunately.    Still, DH2 buys me flowers so it's not all  :(

Your husband coujld have a nice sideline going here if he wants to make bead corers?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr