Frit-Happens !
January 27, 2020, 09:10:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting Silver Tubing for Big Hole Beads  (Read 2871 times)
Fruddy
Silver Glass Slave!
Forum Member

Cherish Every Day and Live Life to the Full

« on: December 29, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »

My Christmas present from my family is a second hand bead coring press, which I am hopeful will be here in the next few days.  I have ordered some 925 silver tubing from the US, which again I don't have yet.

What do I need to buy to cut the silver tube into pieces?  Will pipe cutters work, or are they likely to be too large??

Thanks chaps.

MangoBeads
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:08:42 PM »

Pipe cutter will work just fine - but then you will need to de-burr  Smiley

★★Terri★★
Forum Member

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:10:56 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I have cut silver tubing before with a saw - the kind that jewellery makers use.  In the silversmithing class I attended we used a little clamp to hold the tube and then cut against the side of the clamp to make sure that the cut was straight.

Can't help but wonder - why did you order the tube from the US?  Tell me to mind my own if you like - but surely somewhere like Palmers or Cooksons should be able to supply the tube you need.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:19:32 PM by Terri » Logged
Fruddy
Silver Glass Slave!
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I have cut silver tubing before with a saw - the kind that jewellery makers use.  In the silversmithing class I attended we used a little clamp to hold the tube and then cut against the side of the clamp to make sure that the cut was straight.

Can't help but wonder - why did you order the tube from the US?  Tell me to mind my own if you like - but surely somewhere like Palmers or Cooksons should be able to supple the tube you need.

It was cheaper to buy the tubing from someone on Etsy who was recommended than it was from Palmers, including postage.  Not much cheaper, but cheaper all the same and because I don't need it immediately I thought that I would buy a twelve inch length and see what its like.   To be honest as well, the lady who I bought the press from told me that she bought her tubing from this Etsy shop, that she was fast and reliable so I thought that I would give her a punt.

Grin

Fruddy
Silver Glass Slave!
Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 02:14:29 PM »

Pipe cutter will work just fine - but then you will need to de-burr  Smiley

Thanks Manda, thats great, will go and get one from B&Q.

Got a deburring tool coming as well from the chap who makes the Impress Corer.... Grin

MangoBeads
Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »

no worries..... I have always had my tubing from the States for a few reasons ( mainly as when i started coring 3 years ago you couldnt get it over here ) BUT the tubing I use is seamless which makes a difference on the finish ( if you are mega fussy  Roll Eyes )

Pixiedebs
Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:30 PM »

Manda, could I ask where you get it from??

Dx
Enchanted Cobwebs
Forum Member

Housework is over rated

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 05:12:01 AM »

I got a tube cutting jig from cousins which was about 20, you can set the length so you can repeatedly cut the same length. It also works for wire and reduces waste because saw cutting rather than my usual flush cutter approach gives a perfect flat surface either side. One of my better buys!

Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs
Kaz
Flame Off Show Off
Senior Forum Member

Worth my weight in glass....

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:09 AM »

I have the impress de-burrer and found it is quite difficult to get used to, but if you persevere it does a good job!
Kazx

She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!
sundoorbeads
Glass Beads and Murrini By Michelle
Forum Member

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »

I found a deburring bit in my DH's tool stash not sure what it's original purpose was but I gave my copper tubing a few turns with it and it worked like a charm!
He also just built me a coring press so I am stoked to get going with it!!!

Have fun coring!!!

Keep Flaming! Michelle
Blue Box Studio
Blue sky thinking & a load of hot air
Forum Member

Just give me the coffee and no one gets hurt!

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »

I found a deburring bit in my DH's tool stash not sure what it's original purpose was but I gave my copper tubing a few turns with it and it worked like a charm!
He also just built me a coring press so I am stoked to get going with it!!!

Have fun coring!!!

Oh to have a practical husband!  XDH could turn his hand to anything (including younger women, hence the X) but DH2 can only make a mess unfortunately.    Still, DH2 buys me flowers so it's not all  Sad

Your husband coujld have a nice sideline going here if he wants to make bead corers?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: