Remind me again - which Mr Site alternatives?

Started by Redhotsal, December 14, 2010, 12:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

julieHB

Quote from: disandland on December 14, 2010, 09:20:32 PM
Quote from: julieHB on December 14, 2010, 08:31:28 PM
As has been mentioned: I recommend www.one.com for web hosting, both for their service and price!

As for Prestashop, I am sure they have many issues, as with all open source software, but it is a lot easier to install and administrate than for example zen cart or virtue mart. They are a very lively gang which update their software often. It is very much a shop oriented software instead of an information driven software with a shop attached. Most importantly, it's html and css driven, which means you can modify the look with a bit of knowledge - but you don't have to. Their basic free template is fine to start with, you just personalise it with your own banner. The back officie is quite easy to get to grips with. If you have your own host that you are happy with make sure you ask them if they support the Prestashop scripts before trying to upload and install it  :)

Julie, don't sound too knowledgeable my lovely cos, when the Mr Site contract runs out, I'm just around the corner from you...

Di, Dahlin....you know where I am....  ;D :-*
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Blue Box Studio

I don't know much about these things but have started using Webplus X4 for my website and there is a cart facility which I am yet to try out; my job for the quiet season after Christmas.  It was easy to set up, like using DTP which is good for people like me who have no website ability (Dreamweaver was far too complicated and I couldn't sort out where things had gone wrong).  Webplus x4 will host for free for a year but I use 34SP.com, who are really helpful when I ask for help (frequently).  Whether they are cheapest I've no idea, I don't know enough to change anything else and it all works for me.  Whether all this adds up to being as good/bad as Mr Site I don't know but I didn't even consider Mr Site when I was looking around because of the bad comments I'd read everywhere.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Veebee

Quote from: julieHB on December 14, 2010, 08:31:28 PM
As has been mentioned: I recommend www.one.com for web hosting, both for their service and price!

As for Prestashop, I am sure they have many issues, as with all open source software, but it is a lot easier to install and administrate than for example zen cart or virtue mart. They are a very lively gang which update their software often. It is very much a shop oriented software instead of an information driven software with a shop attached. Most importantly, it's html and css driven, which means you can modify the look with a bit of knowledge - but you don't have to. Their basic free template is fine to start with, you just personalise it with your own banner. The back officie is quite easy to get to grips with. If you have your own host that you are happy with make sure you ask them if they support the Prestashop scripts before trying to upload and install it  :)

So if I have my webspace (with one.com) do I just install Prestashop into that webspace? Sorry for asking such a newb question but this is all very new to me! And do you get e-mail notification when something sells (ever the hopeful one me  ;) )?
Thanks  ;D
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

HelenV

I use create.net - first time for me doing anything web based and I found it really easy to use, you get a 30 day free trial to design and set up your site to see if you like it, the shop is great for stock control etc.... and the customer service is spot on - I emailed a few times and I always got a reply within 24 hours. There is no set up cost involved, you just pay a small monthly charge - simples  ;)

They also extended my free trial as well xx

www.helenvanekdesign.co.uk
www.etsy.com/shop/helenvanekdesign

Helen G

I'm a 1&1 fan, I don't think it's the cheapest option but for me it's been brilliant. I've had it running for 3 years now and in all that time I only ever had 1 issue and they delt with that very professionally and very quickly-I think it took just 40 minutes! They were great answering my questions too when I set it all up, which I did on my own having no experience at all.

They have a 24/7 helpline which is just 6p a min from BT lines so you can sort any questions you may have with technical issues straight away  ;)

Zeldazog

I use one.com and have found them to be great, with online chat help, who genuinely help.

My own site was done purely in code with a CSS sheet much adapted, but it doesn't have a shopping cart.  Someone recommended Serif Page Plus 4 which IS really easy to use - drag and drop a lot of stuff.  I haven't tried setting up a shopping cart with it though, like Sue.

If you decide to go for it, download the free trial first.  About two or three weeks after, they should email you offering you the full package for about £30 instead of the usual £80 or £90 that it costs.

Might have a look at create, sounds interesting, I do like working with style sheets.