Remind me again - which Mr Site alternatives?

Started by Redhotsal, December 14, 2010, 12:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhotsal

Been doing a search on here for Mr Site alternatives but couldn't find the original post?
What do you all use? Been looking at webeden but can't see where there is stock control on the shopping cart.
Your recommendations are appreciated....thanks!

MadelineBunyan

paintboxcrafts

www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

Josephine

Julie HB just helped George using 1&1 hosting and Prestashop. She has offered to help me but I am still thinking about that route via a whole package like Create. On the one hand there is more flexibility going down Julie's route but I'm worried that I might hit a glitch that I can't sort out, and I'm on a Mac now not PC so if I might have problems that Julie hasn't come across. She highly recommended 1&1 but on the prestashop forum there was a whole thread of people having problems and Prestashop said they don't recommend them as they haven't manage to sort out a few issues....but then there were lots of people saying they love 1&1 and run prestashop with no problem....I think I'm getting a headache just thinking about it!

ETA Julie used www.one.com not 1&1 as I said here. sorry for any confusion.

Redhotsal

Yes, I know what you mean - what I really don't want to do is leave Mr Site and have to do the whole website again but then end up with some other useless company with poor customer service. Take Mr Site, for example - I've had loads of trouble with them but if you talk to someone like Julie (Lush) - she hardly ever has hassle from them.  ???

Josephine

Yes its is a pain. Most of the time I've been ok with Mr Site although I never seem to get notifications anymore when I make a sale and I don't like the newer style photo uploader, found it much easier before they changed it. And part of me was tempted to just go with the devil you know....and then someone like you comes along with a nightmare situation and I think NO be brave go somewhere new.

I'm doing a completely new site for a jewellery range I'm developing so if I take a months free trial to set it up then decide I don't like the company,templates, service, whatever, it is a pain but not a complete nightmare like moving an existing site could be. And on the other hand if it works out well then come April or whenever it is my Mr Site is up for renewal then I will know where to go and have the new system worked out...well that's the theory anyway. I've spent the last week or so looking at different packages and so far Create is the one I like the look of best

disandland

I had a 1&1 site for years and I abandoned them for... Mr Site.  Oh boy.

I wasn't impressed with 1&1's customer service to be honest.  No downtime or anything and remarkably easy to use - but when things do go wrong it can take an age to get it sorted.
love Di x

Josephine

I have just looked again and Julie recommended www.one.com not 1&1, sorry for that confusion

jammie

We use one.com and have found it to be good and not expensive. OH did the site, its hosted by One.com dont know if that makes a difference or not ?

mizgeorge

I'm using one.com rather than 1&1, and I'm delighted with the service.
I've installed prestashop, which is was a bit of a learning curve, but has SO much more functionality, and is incredibly easy to list with. So far, I'm really happy with it. The software is completely free, which helped sway the decision!

I never had any issues with Mr Site (apart from them not giving advance notice of maintenance), but I was using basic rather than pro, which seems to be where things go wrong for a lot of people.

Josephine

How difficult was it to get it all up and running George. I just don't want to take on too much?

Just found the Create FB page, reading through people's comments on it. http://www.facebook.com/createdotnet

mizgeorge

In honesty Josephine, it took about 24 hours, including a lot of faffing about because I wanted to change some colours and mess with the template a bit (not necessary at all, or yuu can just buy ready made ones). Then I did absolutely nothing for the best part of 3 months because I couldn't be arsed to take the rest of the pictures (the thing I hate MOST about my job). Once I made my mind up, it was done and ready in another couple of hours. If anything I found it easier than setting up my original site as adding products is so intiuitive and straightforward (as well as being instant rather than post-published).

I'm sure there is a limit to how many pictures you can use per product, but I don't know what it is. I've had no problem with up to six so far. For me, it was more about having a proper e-commerce site rather than a bolt-on shop, as I wanted to have proper order referencing and stock control as well as multiple payment options if I need them.

ScarletLeonard

Was sure I posted, Must have been eaten.

Cheap and chearful self hosted wordpress. Piece of cake to set up even with little knowledge.

Alternatively go bespoke. May not be cheap (only initial set up though) but to have the developer on the end of the phone and sort any problems in an instant is a bonus. (small shameless plug for hubby.)

Ok I confused myself and posted that in the other thread.... Teach me to have multiple tabs open. Sorry for the mini spam.

julieHB

As has been mentioned: I recommend www.one.com for web hosting, both for their service and price!

As for Prestashop, I am sure they have many issues, as with all open source software, but it is a lot easier to install and administrate than for example zen cart or virtue mart. They are a very lively gang which update their software often. It is very much a shop oriented software instead of an information driven software with a shop attached. Most importantly, it's html and css driven, which means you can modify the look with a bit of knowledge - but you don't have to. Their basic free template is fine to start with, you just personalise it with your own banner. The back officie is quite easy to get to grips with. If you have your own host that you are happy with make sure you ask them if they support the Prestashop scripts before trying to upload and install it  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

disandland

Quote from: julieHB on December 14, 2010, 08:31:28 PM
As has been mentioned: I recommend www.one.com for web hosting, both for their service and price!

As for Prestashop, I am sure they have many issues, as with all open source software, but it is a lot easier to install and administrate than for example zen cart or virtue mart. They are a very lively gang which update their software often. It is very much a shop oriented software instead of an information driven software with a shop attached. Most importantly, it's html and css driven, which means you can modify the look with a bit of knowledge - but you don't have to. Their basic free template is fine to start with, you just personalise it with your own banner. The back officie is quite easy to get to grips with. If you have your own host that you are happy with make sure you ask them if they support the Prestashop scripts before trying to upload and install it  :)

Julie, don't sound too knowledgeable my lovely cos, when the Mr Site contract runs out, I'm just around the corner from you...
love Di x