Hallmarking. Assay office recommendations.

Started by Josephine, December 10, 2010, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadelineBunyan

I will add that I did at the time think that this was pushing it a bit, but what's the worst that happens, they send it back not marked and say 'oi, do some more to that before we stamp it ok' ?

anyway, there was no rude note or anything when it came back, and they had marked it, so I'm happy.

lesley

Blimey, you're a cheeky one, Madeline! Be great if you could just send a huuuuge bag of jumprings to be turmed into maille.

MadelineBunyan

lesley

Quote from: MadelineBunyan on December 10, 2010, 08:25:26 PM
don't tempt me!

;D

I've found the handling charge requirements confusing with Sheffield. I've sent batches wrapped the same way......one time charged, the next time not. This last time I had three assay notes, everything wrapped the same way. On two of them I was charged but not on the third! I'm still waiting to hear the explanation.

Anyone else had this?

Nia

I use Birmingham, and they are fantastically helpful and nice to deal with. George mentioned Lin Moran, whom I met when I was getting the whole thing set up, again, wondeful to deal with, and full of good advice.
I solder tags onto the pieces, so the hallmarks are popped onto the back of those. It gives a really neat, uniform look to everything, no need to go hunting for the hallmark, and the soldering takes moments.
It's too far for me to hand deliver (and way too much hassle!), so I post off a batch by NDSD, usually costs about a tenner both ways, and well worth it.
The more pieces you send, the cheaper it works out per item.
Their turnaround time suits me fine, usually five working days, so I can plan the best time to have batches done.
I know that we all have different styles of jewellery, but for the work I do, i find the Birmingham system works well.
Nia xx
www.gemwaithnia.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/gemwaithnia/

Sal

Birmingham were extremely helpful when I set up and the lady I talked to was lovely  :) Nia - can I ask who NDSD is please? I've not heard of them I don't think and they sound like they might be cheaper than I'm using at the moment...

Josephine

I think she means next day special delivery

Sal

Doh! I wondered if that was it but couldn't work out how the initials fitted!  ::) I blame my fuzzy cold-filled head! Thanks Josephine  :)

Nia

Woops sorry, yes I meant next day sbesh! And it's about a tenner each way, just to clarify. (It comes back by courier). I think with chainmaille it might cost less because you can minimise packaging. I tend to be a bit obsessive with protecting my stuff because if I end up with shattered gemstones and pearls then I'd probably have to remake entire pieces.
Nia xx
www.gemwaithnia.co.uk

Josephine

So do you just send off all the silver component Nia and put it all together when it comes back?

Nia

Oh no, I couldn't be doing with that. Well, you know the kind of things I make, and if i'm honest, I haven't a clue what I'm going to make until I make it (does that make sense?), so I send completed pieces. Otherwise I'd be in a complete muddle. Doesn't take much at the best of times...
But of course, sending completed pieces that contain an awful lot of pearls, fine gemstones and glass means I have to pack them all properly. peace of mind for me, I suppose.
Nia xx
www.gemwaithnia.co.uk

ARBeads

We send ours to brum, place all the finished articles in a takeaway container with some bubble wrap,normally with attached tags for marking. When we spoke to them about packaging we were told the simpler the better, as it takes time to unpack. We made the mistake of having our stamp done in the smallest size as would fit on earwires, turned out to be a mistake as without a loupe you can't read them. Not had any problems apart from they can't do charms unless you go for the laser option.

Ruth
x
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Jessamine

I'm now in the process of getting a Hallmark set up (finally) so this thread has been really helpful. I was hoping to use Birmingham myself, but unfortunately they only offer reduced fees for full time students wheras London offerers them for part time students too, and being broke that pretty much eliminates Birmigham, pitty because I love the Anchor stamp!

Can I just ask, with a London hallmark do you have to have all 5 marks stamped. I can see on the websites that Birmingham & Edinburgh have 3 comulsary components to their mark, but the example on the London page shows 5 components (incl the symbol for the year)...and which makes it look huge in comparison  ???

mizgeorge

Have you tried calling Lin Moran at Birmingham to see if they can match what London are offering? I also chose Birmingham because of the anchor mark and it's fantastic association with silver jewellery.

I believe all offices require only 3 compulsory elements, the euro mark and date are optional (though I tend to have the date stamped). It still looks tiny with a small punch though!!

Jessamine

Hi George. I did give Lin a call and say I really wanted to use Birmingham but unfortunately she said they were only willing to offer full time students a discount  :(, so London is it I think, as finding another £70 to pay full price isn't really an option at present. I'm sure when I get it I'll just be so chuffed to finally have one I won't really care what's actually on it :D And thanks for the info on the stamps  :-*