Insulation?

Started by Louise Menzies, November 30, 2010, 12:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louise Menzies

Hello

I think im finally in the position to start thinking about insulating the shedio; and what a great time to do it :).

Does anyone have any experience in insulating sheds? whats the best material and suppliers, safety tips, etc?

Louise x

Louise x
www.facebook.com/tootsieshandmade www.tootsieshandmade.etsy.com http://tootsieshandmade.blogspot.com

Magpie

David insulated his and the kid's sheds with leftover cellotex/kingspan boards. Sort of 4 inch thick insulation boards. He put them between the outer walls and the board he put up inside, sort of between the beams. He also did under the floor and between the roof and ceiling. When he ran out of boards he went over to normal loft insulation. Had Robert cutting and putting it in place as he nailed up the ceiling. Remember to wear a mask when handling the normal loft stuff. He did it as he was building rather than once it was up, so that may not be much help. 

Trudi

I would imagine loft insulation would be good!

Bluebottle

Use loft insulation  and then put hard board over the inside............

Mike   ;D

elburnzo

stupid qu here but what do u do to stop any water getting into the loft insulation from outside? do u put like a liner up or something?

Louise Menzies

Thats My next question thanks alburnzo?!?!?!?!
Louise x
www.facebook.com/tootsieshandmade www.tootsieshandmade.etsy.com http://tootsieshandmade.blogspot.com

Dickie

I insulated Sarah's shedio,

First of all I completely covered the inside with Tyvek (well... Builder Centre breathable roofing liner)
Then fitted Celotex into the gaps in the joists of the shed.
Taped up all the joins with aluminium tape.
Then fitted 9mm MDF over the top of the lot

Officially we should have put another layer of Celotex over the whole of the inside before cladding with MDF, but it seemed a bit over the top, plus we did not want to lose any space from the inside.

See pics here... http://blog.sarahdownton.co.uk/2010/05/04/moved-back-in-yipeeeeee/

The breather membrane is important, otherwise the moisture will get into the insulation and will end up rotting the shed if you are not careful.

You
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda

Blue Box Studio

My lampwork shedio was bought in 2000, since then it's moved several times, each time by being dismantled.  We insulated with loft insulation (now available in rigid sheets, Pink Panther brand I think) and not had any problems with damp getting into the insulation.  It is tongue and groove so perhaps that keeps the worst out, and it is given a coat of weatherproof paint once a year.  I then used thick MDF, the thin stuff warps, especially on ceilings, on the inside.  Every time we move I give it a good look over in case there are any problems but none so far.  The only draughts I get are through windows where some idiot of a handyman I employed (and paid) took a planer to the window frames because I said one of them was sticking and wanted it sanded, not 1/2" removed from a bit that doesn't stick.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Magpie

Quote from: Dickie on November 30, 2010, 04:40:31 PM
Officially we should have put another layer of Celotex over the whole of the inside before cladding with MDF, but it seemed a bit over the top, plus we did not want to lose any space from the inside.

When we did the extension (that's the royal 'we', David did most of the work) I was told you put between the joists, then another layer which goes over the whole lot so you don't lose the heat through the joists.

Dickie

That's the one... it's called a cold bridge, and to comply with building regs that would be the case, but because this was a shedio we felt that we could get away without doing that.
The other thing is the wood frame is actually quite a good insulator anyway, so we decided it was not too much of an issue.
Dickie-Oh yes! Follow me on Twitter @DickieDooda