Bracelets - do yours come with a 'health' warning?

Started by Blue Box Studio, November 25, 2010, 08:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarletLeonard

The general hook and eye/S hook is my preferred clasp. Not only since they are stupidly easy to make but people do get on with them a lot better. I've had people looking at some of my older toggle or lobster bracelets then looking at the newer ones and saying they prefer that clasp.

Quick change and everyone's happy.

Blue Box Studio

OK, will explore S hooks.  Do you make yours or buy?  Making is out of the question at the mo as I have very little grip in my dominant hand due to an elbow op earlier this year, so would have to buy.  Any recommendations of who has nice ones for (at the moment) sensible prices?
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Kalorlo

Whoops, missed this. I make mine, but I bet mizgeorge could do you some very nice ones. She's also got really nice swan neck hooks on Etsy in both silver and copper.

mizgeorge

Thanks Heather :)

I have classic 's' clasps on my findings page http://designedbygeorge.co.uk/page8.htm starting at £2.50.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: mizgeorge on November 29, 2010, 01:44:18 PM
Thanks Heather :)

I have classic 's' clasps on my findings page http://designedbygeorge.co.uk/page8.htm starting at £2.50.

Temptress!

Too cold to work (frozen pipes to boot!).  When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping. 
Sue

mizgeorge

jaz

I have quite a few customers who have difficulty with fastenings. I add an extension chain to bracelets so that you can hold the bracelet steady with the fingers of the hand you are putting the bracelet on.

chipperpottery

I have two signs, just small one's.which say :-

To my customers, may I be so bold, to say if broken consider it to be sold.
The other says:-
I wish I had bought it when I saw it.

ScarletLeonard

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: chipperpottery on December 01, 2010, 02:29:33 PM
I have two signs, just small one's.which say :-

To my customers, may I be so bold, to say if broken consider it to be sold.
The other says:-
I wish I had bought it when I saw it.
Years ago they used to read 'delightful to look at, lovely to to hold but if you break it consider it sold'.

One fair I used to do with horrendous pilfering, someone gave me a sign that said 'the management of this venue would like you to smile - you are on CCTV!'

Sue

arachnia

One fair I did a woman asked to try on a bracelet. I undid the clasp for her but she insisted on doing it her self she redid the clasp and then tried to force it over her hand  :o I asked her to stop and told her that was no way to try on the bracelet as the wire was not stretchable and that she was to use the clasp. To which she replied I always put on my bracelets like that to which the man with her said 'humph no wonder you have so many broken bracelets. '   :-\

This was the only time anyone had done this others had opened the clasp. I like the idea of the signs  ;D i may use them at my fairs next year.
Vickie
]

Blue Box Studio

I put out a sign and did have one man ask if I had a problem with bracelets being returned because they were broken by misuse.  I explained I had in the past, his 'wife' (I presume here) said I should make them better then and he said much the same thing - that's why you have broken bracelets.  She said she'd like him to buy her one for Christmas and he told her not until she'd learned to look after things properly.  Mixed emotion - no sale but no hassle from her either.

One sign that is definitley going out next time is for breakages - problems with kids, egged on by parents, playing with beads despite my impromptu hand written note that these were glass beads, please treat carefully.  One little darling threw the box of beads on the floor, which of course it totally my fault for having them out in the first place.  Someone else had a similar problem, with breakages.  In fairness, this fair is one of the worst for nuisance, most of my fairs it isn't a problem.
Sue