I wanna make a marble run!

Started by garishglobes, November 22, 2010, 12:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

♥♥Tan♥♥

Wouldn't it be awful if you made a whole run and the marble fell out halfway through :D

fionaess

Quote from: Tan on February 08, 2011, 06:44:36 PM
Wouldn't it be awful if you made a whole run and the marble fell out halfway through :D

Oh that would be absolutely terrible Tan.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

If it's got a hole, it's a bead !

♥♥Tan♥♥

It's exactly the sort of thing that would happen to me ::)

Hamilton Taylor

How about......
....a marble run collaboration?

;D

garishglobes

ooh, now you're talking!  ;D
Better put a net in it too though, for any dropped ones.

♥♥Tan♥♥

garishglobes

I can't stop thinking about marble runs now. I keep trying to work out how practical it would be to have a go, how to hold the pieces together, whether it would be possible to do a fairground marble ride, allsorts.  :D

Hamilton Taylor

How about....

....everyone who wants to play makes, say, 4 or 5 inches of vertical drop?
Then, we work out what scaffolding we need, put it together, and wizz mibs down it.

Need to agree on the 'guage', so we don't end up with lots of different track widths...

waddayathink?
:)

garishglobes

I'd been wondering if something like that was possible  :)

So, we need to work out gauge and whether anyone is prepared to do corners  :P

Les

Stacy

Your a bunch of nutters!!! ;D

but nutters which i have no doubt will pull it off!!!

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Hamilton Taylor on February 16, 2011, 05:18:42 PM
How about....

....everyone who wants to play makes, say, 4 or 5 inches of vertical drop?
Then, we work out what scaffolding we need, put it together, and wizz mibs down it.

Need to agree on the 'guage', so we don't end up with lots of different track widths...

waddayathink?
:)
Sounds good to me!!!  ;D

Hamilton Taylor

We will need to make marbles for it too - if we say 1" marbles, then the track just needs to be <1". Use your skill and judgement to keep the mib on track. Section entry and exit should be at fixed guage (say 3/4"?) so sections match up, and we must keep mib speed slow at section exits, in case of tight corners etc. on the next section.

There's more to this than meets the eye...

::)

Sean

garishglobes

Right, back to Contemporary Lampworking for a quick read.

Section entry and exit at 3/4" sound good to me, should I start a marble run thread and, ummm.... get this rolling?  :D

Hamilton Taylor

another thought - each section should have a reference for levelling, so all the slopes slope right. two horizontal rod sections at right angles should do, although I know where to get stick-on levelling bubbles... :D

Sean