Kiln wash or kiln paper

Started by Lucas, November 20, 2010, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat from Canvey

I used to use a haik brush for my shelves but you can get an interesting finish if you use one of those small paint rollers, the foam kind.

Warm Glass UK

Here's the link to our document on kiln wash application/reapplication if it helps :

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Downloads/Public/Products/Tools/Using%20Shelf%20Primer.pdf

Thanks, Pippa

♥♥Tan♥♥

Thankyou for taking the time to post that Pippa, its valuable info!

Grody

Despite being a Yorkshireman (definition: like a Scotsman, but with the boundless generosity removed), I feel life is too short for kiln wash.

The price of the BE paper from Warm Glass is attractive (unlike their shipping charges) and I don't need any more faffy processes to deal with when all I want to do is fuse! Been making cufflinks in quantity for the last few months (500 pairs+) and the paper has been a godsend. Yes, you may save a bit of dosh but your sanity has a value too.

Just my take on it.

Zeldazog

Fair comment Grody, although I have to say it really doesn't take that long to coat a shelf, probably less than a couple of minutes, usually lasts two or three firings, and since discovering the metal scraper method of cleaning 'tis a doddle to clean off too.

Zeldazog

Incidentally, Warm Glass have free shipping today..... 

Sarah A

Glad I stumbled across this thread.  I have used kiln paper since I got my kiln as the lady I bought it off gave me a couple of pieces though when I got my larger kiln decided to try kiln wash as much cheaper but hate taking it off, was using the green scourer so was going back to kiln paper.  Will now try the paint scraper way and see how that goes.  Did anyone try the new kiln wash from warm glass?

stuwaudby

First and most important advice is to use a flat shelf. The texture on the back of your pieces is so much smoother and the glass flow is more predictable. We use both paper and wash depending on the piece. We tend to use paper for small pieces where the base layer is whole sheet. Where the base layer is multiple pieces of glass or layered then wash works better. If you will see the back face then wash gives a smoother finish. Dont be put off by wash, its much cleaner to deal with and once the shelf is initially washed is stright forward to top off. We use very thin washto just give a consistent covering. A quick vac brush outside is sufficient to clean it for next time, it rarely gets extra coats.

Main bit of advice is make sure your kiln shelf if lifted off the base of the kiln. It will then get a more consistent temperature. Pieces close to the edge of the kiln sometimes get less heat at near the edge. 

Good luck and enjoy the new kiln.

Lucas

Hi Sarah,
I have bought a little thing of the new wash (primo or something I think it's called, though this may not be right! ::)) and haven't used it yet - I'm using the ordinary bullseye wash for my shelves (and using a thicker layer than others, but this lasts ages without having to scrape off and recoat, and still leaves a very smooth back). As I just have the one shelf I leave it to dry for at least a day (often two) and have had no problems with bubbles etc from moisture.  I am planning to use the new wash for moulds, as I can see me breaking them while trying to use the paint scraper method to get old wash off, even though I know you don't have to do this often as the temp doesn't go so high - once would be enough for me to wreck it! 
How about you - have you been using the new wash off primer or are you researching before you buy? 
What kind of stuff are you making?  Many of the lovely people on here are bead orientated (and they are just gorgeous - check out the gallery!) ... (I mean the beads, but I'm sure the artists are gorgeous too!! ;D ;D) ... not a lot of fusers who don't do beads!

Lucas

Sarah A

Hi Lucas

I haven't got any of the new prima yet as still have loads of the bullseye one yet though it does sound like a good idea for moulds.  Do let me know what you think of it when you have tried it.

And yes the beads on here are gorgeous.  I mainly fuse but got a bead making kit last month and am now slowly getting the bead bug!