The curious incident bead....

Started by Kaz, November 12, 2010, 10:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Yesterday I made some(really rather nice!) round beads from CIM crocus with purple rose frit. I then put on dots of Kalypso and encased them and then pulled them. I finally added smaller dots of black (Reichenbach) with white on top in between the encased Kalypso dots. After I had cleaned them a couple of the black and white dots came off when I was drying them. They were fully adhered when I made the beads. Then I decided to see if I could pull any more of these dots off by hand and amazingly I could. Clearly a case of complete incompatibility (which I have only ever had happen once before with ivory dots on ASK glass). Any suggestions as to where the incompatibility lies?
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

hollergrafik

I have had issues with cracking with Reich black, had a bead on top of my glass unit for about 3 months, I was sat in my studio and heard a pop, reich black encased with 006 was in 2 bits on the floor.

julieHB

I must admit I am a bit wary of the CIM glasses, having had beads crack on me months after I made them - that has mainly been when I have encased them in another glass, though, and could have been me not paying enough attention to their sometimes fussy annealing requirements.
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

ScarletLeonard

I didn't get on with the reichenbach black at all. Midway through making a bead I had dots on the opposite (still warm) side pop off. I mostly chalked it down to something I must have done wrong but it never happened with any other black.

pixiewillow

which reichenbach black are you using??
I use the deep black and so far no problems (I hope!)
www.pixiewillow.etsy.com
www.pixiewillowdesigns.com
A mans idea of multi tasking is breathing & blinking at the same time.

Kaz

For that bead I used the normal Reichenbach black.
I have been using deep black for murrini and no problems with that.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

pixiewillow

Ahhhhh I'll steer clear of that one then!  ;D
www.pixiewillow.etsy.com
www.pixiewillowdesigns.com
A mans idea of multi tasking is breathing & blinking at the same time.

Redhotsal

Sounds like the Reichenbach black. Why don't you do a compatibility pull with the two glasses that it's sandwiched between? Reich's a nice glass but I would be wary of mixing any Reich with Double Helix or CIM. Too diffferent,

hollergrafik

Shirley

you could also try making the bead again but using one of the CIM blacks instead
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Kaz

I'm one step ahead of you Shirley ;) and this time I have put white on the bottom and black on top (Hades)
Kazx