Bombay Sapphire blue

Started by Blue Box Studio, November 09, 2010, 06:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipperpottery

I have got a spare empty bottle of Bombay gin, if you would like it.

I can post it tomorrow.

Rita

S6300781 by Avalon Beads, on Flickr

Redhotsal

Just offering a service really - I'm happy to dispose of the contents of any Bombay Sapphire bottle for those who dont' drink gin but fancy making blue beads...... ;) ;D

Beautiful looking jewellery on this thread, everyone!

DragonflyLynne

Quote from: Redhotsal on November 10, 2010, 05:25:24 PM
Just offering a service really - I'm happy to dispose of the contents of any Bombay Sapphire bottle for those who dont' drink gin but fancy making blue beads...... ;) ;D

;D ;D ;D

Lovely beads everyone  ;D

for chain maille supplies, kits & workshops, bespoke headpins, earwires and more! Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crispy and taste good with ketchup! Dragonfly (Lynne)

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: mariag on November 10, 2010, 04:57:07 PM
I made this bracelet for a college project on jewellery using recycled or found materials. I used a Harvey's Bristol Cream bottle & a Spanish mineral water bottle & rolled some of the beads in BeadySam's Monet frit & left some plain.

No idea about the origins of the bottle I had but ... bought some of Tan's frit destash and there's 'Money' in it so for once I have something that someone mentions.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: chipperpottery on November 10, 2010, 05:03:00 PM
I have got a spare empty bottle of Bombay gin, if you would like it.

I can post it tomorrow.

Rita

Rita, I've PM'd you.  Thanks.  Sue.
Sue

DI

Hi Sue
I've used Bombay Sapphire quite a bit - I can make enough jewellery out of one £14.00 bottle to get me over £100.00 back especially if I add a little bit of gold leaf here and there plus it goes a lot further in hollow beads. ;)
The old ones used to be plastic coated but I think they are all solid blue now - look at the thick bit at the bottom and see if it looks suitably deeper in colour. I've not had any problem with the etched bits at all but any scum could be picked out as you go.
It's beautiful glass - good for sculptural and hollow things as it's a bit stiffer/higher melting and more short working than Effetre as most bottle glass seems to be. I like to fume it too and reduction frits work well on it plus foil and leaf. (Won't work very well on a hot head)
I just decant the gin into another bottle if necessary and drink it at leisure plus I've got friends saving their bottles - you could get the local pub to save you theirs. It's a real selling point for the work to say it's Bombay Sapphire Gin bottle glass too. ;D
x
Di
PS
Tynant water bottles are very good

firedinglass

That was the name of the water bottles i use to fuse with 'Tynant'  i knew someone on here would know! ;D

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Blue Box Studio

Thanks for the tips.  I've been so busy I've not had time to make them yet, it's on the cards for tomorrow so I can make a necklace or two in the week.  All depends on a customer actually coming when she says she is and not speding all day looking at earrings in my lounge (and then not buying?).  I don't feel I can see customers in my grotty work clothes and if I torch in something decent a bit of glass is sure to fly. 

I like the idea that drinking gin can actually pay for itself!
Sue

★★Terri★★

My FIL keeps giving us some seriously nasty German wines (he joined a wine club and simply cannot admit he knows nothing about wine and doesn't even drink it ::)).  Up to know I have just been giving it away - apologetically suggesting if it's not nice use it as drain cleaner ;D.

But, would I be able to melt it on my hot head?  Don't want to get all fired up about it if it gonna be a non started.  The bottles are a deep blue and a deep green.

Curlybird

I've just got hold of an emply Bombay Sapphire from my local pub, and I'm going to make something for the landlady for Xmas....    I was wondering if I could use frit with it, and thanks to this thread I know the answer.   Very helpful.

Anne
Anne

Katiequiggle

Quote from: Terri on November 29, 2010, 08:59:08 AM
My FIL keeps giving us some seriously nasty German wines (he joined a wine club and simply cannot admit he knows nothing about wine and doesn't even drink it ::)).  Up to know I have just been giving it away - apologetically suggesting if it's not nice use it as drain cleaner ;D.

But, would I be able to melt it on my hot head?  Don't want to get all fired up about it if it gonna be a non started.  The bottles are a deep blue and a deep green.

Hi Terri.

It takes ages melting bottles on a hot head but if you're patient you certainly can do it.  I make quite a few beads from bottles on my  hot head though I must say that it is an awful lot quicker on my Bobcat.

This bracelet is made from a jam jar and has passion frit on it and the green beads are all from wine bottles.

Curlybird

Do you have to use a specific annealling cycle for Bombay Sapphire, or do you use the same as for Effetre?

Anne
Anne

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I just popped mine in with my coe 104 beads. No problems so far.

Curlybird

Anne

stuwaudby

Quote from: Curlybird on November 29, 2010, 09:17:22 AM
I've just got hold of an emply Bombay Sapphire from my local pub, and I'm going to make something for the landlady for Xmas....    I was wondering if I could use frit with it, and thanks to this thread I know the answer.   Very helpful.

Anne

Anne, whenever I test bottle glass compatibility then bullseye always comes out more compatible than effetre. You should be safer using a COE90 frit but best to check compatibility first.

To check heat the ends of two rods, touch them so they overlap and pull a stringer which is half and half. Cut one end and hang it vertically down to cool. If it stays straight then it will be compatibile enough to use for surface detail. If the stringer bends as it cools then the glass on the iside of the bend has the higher COE.