Problem with cooker hood extractor not working - help!

Started by Blue Box Studio, October 04, 2010, 12:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

As a newbie I'm trying to keep costs down so was delighted when I managed to get a brand new unused cooker hood extractor through Freecycle that someone had kept in their loft for years.  For 2 months or so it's worked fine, vents outdoors through the standard hole in the wall and flap grid on outside.  It's about the same height from my worktop as a standard hood would be and I'm using a hothead.  I wouldn't have thought the overall heat from the torch would have been more than heat from a cooker and hob?   It worked fine, albeit a bit noisily until a week ago but I'm out there today and the motor is working but the fan isn't.  I've resorted to the manual but it doesn't mention complexities like getting to the motor, nor am I that confident in taking it apart.  DH would be even less use.

So, have I probably fried it?  I'm reluctant to fork out £50 or so for a replacement if this tends to be a problem with this kind of extractor.  Is the motor (presumably the black round thing inside, not much else in there) meant to come apart for cleaning - the manual doesn't cover this so I don't know whether I'm meant to be able to get to the rotating bit.  I've tried a sharp tap to no effect.

Assuming this has got too hot and melted, have I just been unlucky and another one would probably give me years of service?  Would a standard kitchen extractor, ventaxia or xpelair type be OK or have I to spend a lot on this?  I've looked at the Progrow fans which I think a lot of people use but they seem to start at £115, plus tubing etc.

Anyone any suggestions?  Thanks.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

stuwaudby

Sounds like the fan has fallen off the motor shaft. Personally I would strip it down and repair it. Seems daft to replace the whole thing. You could try to adapt it to take a bathroom extractor, kits are bout £25 in Wickes.

Blue Box Studio

Thanks.  My trusty local handiman (DH isn't handy nor am I with machinery) has looked and said he thought something had got fried, he tried taking it apart to fix but couldn't, unusually for him.  So he's put me in a kitchen extractor, £18 from Screwfix and seems to be working OK.  This will have to do until I can afford something better, if needs be.  It's only a little shedio so should change the air every few minutes, seems to be drawing OK when I tried a smoke test.  Because the fans are plastic we decided against installing it inside the hood, incase it went the same way as the cooker hood.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr