Sievert Torch Question

Started by Redhotsal, June 07, 2010, 11:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhotsal

Any Sievert owners out there?

A lady I taught today has a Sievert which she was sold on the pretext that it was a good  jewellery (silver smithing) torch. Having plumbed it into the propane both of us was quite surprised at the size of the flame. I would say that the flame was no bigger than a little hand held torch (bit like a caramelising torch).

I couldn't quite work out what the regulator was saying - it implied that it was 0-4 and also 4-16 bar but I couldn't work out how how to control the gauge to go from 0-4 and then to 4-16 bar?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get a larger flame than the one I got - which was very very pointy and about 2-3cm high?

I tried it for glass bead making and while it was good for keeping the colours true it was very very slow. Too slow for practical use. My student was quite disappointed as she expected it to be a much bigger and bushier flame.

My question therefore is probably - is the flame meant to be 2-3cm big or am I missing a trick in setting the regulator?

My second question is - is anyone looking for a Sievert (and propane hosing/regulator) which has only been used literally a couple of times?!  ;D Any sensible offer considered

sarah t

they are used for soldering gold and silver (and metal clay ?) when a fine point flame useful.........

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Sivert-Torch-Kit-prcode-999-AKZ1

mizgeorge

That size Sievert should have a 0-2 bar regulator Sal.  It's fine for most small scale soldering jobs, but I have microtorches which are more powerful tbh.

silverlemon

I have a Sievert torch that I bought from our local Calor Gas shop. It's identical to the one in Cooksons sold for an extortionate price.
They sell the different nozzles in the Calor shop.

I have a selection, and can get a flame as large as the hot head, that will solder large stuff like heavy bangles.

I tried my Sievert torch before I got my Hot Head and all I made was yukky grey coloured beads, ie it reduced completely. I was gutted and promptly bought a Hot Head.
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

Redhotsal

Thanks everyone for the info. Sounds like this isn't the torch that my student wants - although I'll pass this info on, including the possibility of getting a larger "head".
You're wonderful - a great information bank!

silverlemon

It is a good torch for soldering big things if it's the same as the one in Cooksons and has a larger nozzle swapped on, sorry if my post sounded confusing. She must have had a small nozzle.

It is however pants for beadmaking  :D ...at least it was when I tried all those years ago, maybe I was working too close to the torch. :(
Bionic Sarah xxx    Sarah Downton On Facebook  My Etsy Shop

Nick

Hi,
I agree with George. I use a micro torch and a Sievert style torch both obtained from Machine Mart at a fraction of the price of similar from the jewellery quarter.

This is an excellent powerful little torch which is filled with lighter gas and lasts quite a while. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbt1-butane-gas-torch-kit/path/gas-torches-soldering-irons

This is the other torch that comes with three different size nozzles and hose with regulator and for £27.01 a great buy. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/fc109-gas-torch-with-nozzles?da=1&TC=RV-010110109.

Hope this helps