Diane - you're a treasure!

I am going tomorrow!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

dinah46

Quote from: Trudi on October 07, 2010, 08:19:00 AM
Diane - you're a treasure!

I am going tomorrow!!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

I'll add it to the growing list ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

I would post a tut on you tube but sadly I'm all out of glass ::)

Trudi

and have a poorly hand xxxxx

Another time - it would be a smash hit!  ;D

Flyingcheesetoastie

The effetre sheet is an absolute pain to cut as it's got many flaws to it as well as the 'grain' from where it's been blown. I've given up on running pliers for strips in favour of score and thumb on reverse. I have experience in cutting full antique glass too but this has stones in and all sorts of hazards.

Zeldazog

I did wonder whether the issue was partly down to the glass itself, but I hadn't tried it personally.

Glad I am not the only one who uses thumb on reverse method!

Trudi

Phew - at least it's not me!!

As I don't cut loads of glass I thought it was either me, or it's different cutting larger pieces of glass!

When I get a chance I will try the thumbs! And Diane is bringing her gadget to Di's tomorrow so it will also be nice to see that in action!

Thank you everyone for your input - you're such a great crowd!  ;D

Krysia@No98

Yes that has been very helpful, thank you.

I am learning using Bullseye and I find it goes funny.  I suspect that still need loads of practice but it's good to know it's not always me!!   ::)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Trudi

I've mainly been using BE - just wanted to be smart with the effetre as I had lots of murrini and shards in 104!

stuwaudby

Not sure how big you are going Trudie. The best way I find for large sheets is to place the sheet over the edge of the table, press the table side down firmly with fingers spread. Grasp the overhanging side about 1/4 of the way down using just your palm and fingers (do not wrap your thumb round). Press down firmly. Afraid this wont work for thin strips.

Warm Glass UK

Pat from Canvey

I never used oil in the 15 years I was making stained glass windows. You only have to clean it off afterwards. Metal running pliers are better than the plastic ones and especially the ones where you can adjust the "gape" by means of a small screw to account for the different thicknesses of stained glass. Have a look at the Leponitt ones.
Krysia, You might like to search out http://leadandlight.co.uk/shop/glass.php based in Hartland Road, Camden, London. They also used to have a big sandblaster you could hire by the hour.

Krysia@No98

thank you

I shall have a look at that later.  I have a silly survay to fill in for work.  For a second time!!  (It timed out last time ::) )

(
here's a question What would you most like to see introduced or START happening at "the company" or in your immediate work area?
reply:  HEATING
)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Flyingcheesetoastie

It's probably already been said but I woudl also suggest going down a local glazier and getting some scrap float glass to practice cutting on too, if I have a tough shape to cut I always try it in the same thickness float first before wasting expensive glass!