nortel minor setup - earthy smell

Started by maho, September 08, 2010, 10:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maho

I am well chuffed as my oxycon named "bob" arrived today. I upgraded from a hothead to a minor after a workshop with Rebecca Weddell ( completely off topic but she is a great teacher).

I was terrified the first time I turned Bob and the minor now nicknamed Barb on but it worked. I have a question though... is it ok that I am surrounded by a rather "earthy" smell ( not a gas smell)? Couldn't place it. Any ideas ( before I burn down the house)? ???

Thanks,
Marijke

Sulis (Hazel)

Hi Marijke,

I've not come across this before, but I would perhaps suggest running just the oxycon for a few minutes, leaving the oxygen valve on your torch open. If it's the oxycon that's smelling funny, you should still get the smell with the torch off. It may just be a normal smell of the oxygen coming through the system, or of the filter/beds on the unit, depending on where the oxycon has been previously used.

When you connected the torch, did you do the usual tests to check for any leaking gas? I know you said it doesn't smell like gas, but just making sure  :)

Good luck with the mysterious smell - and with the new torch  ;D

Hazel  xx
Hazel x

sarah t

i am not sure  ???

it could be what the oxycon was cleaned with or where it lived before it came to you ......(i remember someone had a problem with theirs smelling like ciggerette smoke )

it could be dust or something in the torch ...

i would do a safety check ( and clean where possible)  ... all the pipes , all the connections, torch and the ventilation just to be on the safe side and run the oxycon for a while to see if what is causing the smell works its self out .....anything in the torch will proberbly burn itself out ...

maho

We did the leak test and it passed. But I have been reading the ventilation posts and I am thinking that my open window is for sure not enough. Also my light "service needed" started flashing... oh lordy! I think I'll go to bed now and follow all the tips given above and then see if it stays the same... hmmm mystery yet to be solved ;)

Sulis (Hazel)

If your service light has come on and stayed on for more than 15 minutes on your oxycon, I would suggest you speak to your supplier as soon as poss. It may be that it needs to be swapped out or may need a quick check - or infact it may be nothing to worry about - but your supplier will be able to to tell you.

Hope you have a good sleep and don't worry about it until tomorrow  ;D

xx
Hazel x

beadysam

I had a cigarette smelling one YUCK!  The one I have now smells of nothing for about 10 mins then I get a chemical smell that I only really notice when I re-enter the shed, I think my smell may be somthing they use on the sieve beds.

I would imagine the smell is probably from the oxycon, if there is anything in the air they pick it up - including damp, mould, smoke perfume etc.

maho

Just fired up mob again and it smells like he has been smoking now ;) I know the downstairs neighbours are heavy smokers so as you guys said it picks up everything that might be it. Pff feel a bit more relaxed now. Service light hasn't been flashing any more but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks ladies for your advice!