can i use 90coe frit with 104coe rods

Started by the lady with the lamp, September 08, 2010, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the lady with the lamp

;D Just been on beady Sams web site and she says you can use it sparingly,whos tried it ,it would be alot better for me as 90coe frit is alot cheaper and easier to get hold off,thanks Parin

the lady with the lamp

silly me just found the answer further down the page  ::)

beadysam

If its furnace glass - go for it! ;D  If its anything else, stay away. :o  I'm guessing you are talking about Bullseye, if so I'd say DON'T mix it with your standard 104, the coe is just too different.  The only reason fornace glass works is because of the saturation of metal oxides that is needed for glass blowing.  Don't ask me to go into the science bit, I do understand but can't repeat it back to you without causing mass confusion! ::)

Furnace glass gives a far better effect than standard lampworking glass because of the saturation of colour and interesting effects.  Thats the main reason why us fritty folk don't go down the road of 104 frit, its just an underwhelming result.

If you are still not convinced I'm happy to pop a few samples in the post for you to try.

Hope that helps?

Sulis (Hazel)

Trust me - once you get started on Beady Sam's frits there is no going back. It's like some kind of addiction. The guys at work laugh at me when those frit packets turn up, they think it's worse than getting drugs!!

LOVE those frits and I use them with 104 whenever I get a chance to make beads.
xx
Hazel x

beadysam

Quote from: Sulis on September 08, 2010, 11:59:22 PM
...when those frit packets turn up, they think it's worse than getting drugs!!

I always worry about sending fine sugar frit overseas in little baggies, and make sure I describe in great detail what is in the bag.  i wouldn't want anyone inhaling glass dust! :o

Sulis (Hazel)

LOL!!!!

At work every parcel or packet has to go through an xray machine before they deliver it to us. You should see their faces!! Good job I know them and I've shown them online what I buy!

xx
Hazel x

the lady with the lamp

Quote from: beadysam on September 08, 2010, 03:05:54 PM
If its furnace glass - go for it! ;D  If its anything else, stay away. :o  I'm guessing you are talking about Bullseye, if so I'd say DON'T mix it with your standard 104, the coe is just too different.  The only reason fornace glass works is because of the saturation of metal oxides that is needed for glass blowing.  Don't ask me to go into the science bit, I do understand but can't repeat it back to you without causing mass confusion! ::)

Furnace glass gives a far better effect than standard lampworking glass because of the saturation of colour and interesting effects.  Thats the main reason why us fritty folk don't go down the road of 104 frit, its just an underwhelming result.

If you are still not convinced I'm happy to pop a few samples in the post for you to try.

Hope that helps? Thanks,id love to try some samples how do i get my address to you regards Parin

Stacy

Quote from: beadysam on September 09, 2010, 12:15:53 AM
i wouldn't want anyone inhaling glass dust! :o

IF they are going to inhale it...it's their own fault!! Probably better than some of the other stuff that gets cut with it anyway!!  :D

beadysam

Quote from: the lady with the lamp on September 09, 2010, 11:28:46 AM
Quote from: beadysam on September 08, 2010, 03:05:54 PM

Hope that helps?

Thanks,id love to try some samples how do i get my address to you regards Parin

Hiya hun,
You can either email at mail@beadysamglass.com or just below my piccy there is a squarish shaped speech bubble, click on that and send me a Private Message  via the forum. ;)

Fruddy

I received my package of frit from Sam yesterday (blimey - was I like a kid in a sweetie shop - I had forty odd tubes!!!) and I had a dabble with it last night making my first beads.

I was using Effetre glass with Sam's frit and I didn't have any problems at all - one of my beads is a little pink thing which I think looks pretty damn good rolled in one of Sam's frit blends - looks like a little sweetie lol!!

Can't recommend it highly enough and can't wait to get back home tonight for another play!!! :D

liquidglass

I ordered some yesterday, can't wait to get it!!