Making Uniform Size Dichroic Cabochons

Started by kakirra, August 29, 2010, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kakirra

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all enjoying a relaxing weekend.  I'm pleased to say I've managed to get two firings in this weekend.

I've been pondering over what to make next and I've been looking at some back plates for bracelets and necklaces etc.  I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a uniform size round cabochon?  I've not got any molds, is it possible to do it without a mold? 
Thanks in advance.
Yvonne

Zeldazog

If you cut all your glass pieces the same sizes (i.e all the dichroic layers the same as each other, and assuming clear caps, all the clear caps the same size as each other) and stack them all in the same manner (as in, are you stacking them square, or offset), then they should all come out pretty much the same.

Sulis (Hazel)

What Dawn says!!

Also, if after all your pre-firing accuracy there are any minor size differences it's generally possible to coldwork something and pop it back in the kiln later for fire polishing.

xx
Hazel x

kakirra

Thank you so much both of you.  I've been toying with the idea and I think I'll toy a bit more.  My glass cutting isn't very accurate yet. 

I've been trying to cut small pieces and my cutter just seems to zoom off in the direction it wants rather than the direction I want.

Thanks again

Sulis (Hazel)

You're welcome Yvonne  ;D

If you're having trouble getting accurate cuts on small pieces, what I found has been an invaluable help to me is a self-healing cutting mat, which comes already marked out with measurements. These are available in pretty much any craft shop - Hobby Craft does them for example. Also get yourself a cutting square - most fusing suppliers do these - they are quite cheap and I use mine every time I do any fusing so they are well worth it. Finally I also find that I use a steel ruler which has a cork back - I got mine in Wilkinsons for a pound or two - but you can pick them up in any craft shop.

Practice accurate cutting on transparent glass for a little bit first. How I cut small pieces is to place the glass on a nice clear line on the cutting mat. Measure / count along the lines on the mat to get to where you want to cut. Place the wheel of the cutter onto the glass on top of the line you are using to guide you and slide the cork backed steel ruler up to the butting head, being careful not to move the cutter off the line you want to cut along. Instead of the ruler you can use the cutting square which has a groove in it to hold the glass squarely. Ensure / double check that the bottom of the glass is laid exactly along the horizontal line on the mat and then scoring the line away from you running vertically, run your cutter against the square or ruler to the far edge. A handy cutting tip that was passed onto me by very talented fuser Bluefairy (Helen), is to remember that the head of your cutter is probably a couple of mm boths sides of the actual cutting wheel. You need to allow for this in measurements.

I'm not great at explaining with just words, so I hope this makes sense or helps in some way. If you're already doing something similar, then I'm probably just teaching you to 'suck eggs' and it's just PPP that will help  :D

xx
Hazel x

kakirra

Oh thank you so much for the information.  I actually have a couple of cutting mats as I cut fabric for patchwork every now and again.  I never thought to use them or the same cutting principles for glass! 

Oh I can't wait to give it a try.  I do have a cutting square but I never seem to get a piece that is the same width at the top as it is at the bottom.  I never thought to line it up with lines on a cutting mat. 

Ah, a eureka moment. Thank you so much!  I've got the kiddos to watch at the moment but I'll definitely be giving it a go tonight.  I just know I'm going to be impatient all day.

Have a great day

Yvonne (who is happy dancing round the room)

Zeldazog

Hazel, that's a great idea using a cutting mat, specially for the smaller pieces!

I do use a cutting square, it was one of the best things I spent my money on!  Along with cut runners, especially again the smaller pieces.  Must now go and find a ruler with a cork back too...

Yvonne, if I do have a piece that's uneven width, which is often, I sometimes line the piece up with the square, cut off the surplus and start again with the right angled piece.  You will find a use for the offcut at a later point.  I keep EVERYTHING.

Sulis (Hazel)

Yay I've been useful! ;D Glad to be of service ladies - I don't think I have ever actually caused a happy dance before Yvonne!  ;D ;D

I'd love to see how you're getting on, so please post pics if/when you can. I'll be taking number one son and the daughter to Brighton for the day in a few hours time (eldest's birthday) so can't get near my shedio for aaaaages. I've been dying to get stuff done for days now and just no time. Oh, how cruel life can be sometimes  ::) ;)

Hazel  xx

Hazel x

anna0773

I'm late in joining this discussion but thanks for all your tips. I'm just starting out with glass fusing and was having trouble with my cutting. A trip to Hobby Craft tomorrow I think!