Which type of kiln should I buy?

Started by Blue Box Studio, August 27, 2010, 03:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Box Studio

I looked at the Promethius, but I don't think I can squeeze that in my little workshop, the Paragon would be a tight fit but possible with a bit of rearranging. 

Decisions, decisions.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Krysia@No98

You will need to factor in that you need to leave a little bit of breathing space round it for the air to flow.

I have a minimum of three inches between the back of my paragon and the wall.  It is set at an angle to the wall.  Then round it I have lots of jars and things.

The kiln is also sitting on some porcelain tiles that I got cheep from B&Q, 'though I do know people that have theirs sitting on a wooden chopping board.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

sparrow

I have a Paragon Caldera - slightly larger than the SC2, and I went for the adage "biggest you can afford". It was big enough to fire copper clay in (with the required tins, etc.) - another point to bear in mind is support - my relay gave out just before Easter (after a couple of years of trusty service), and it took quite a bit of kerfuffling to fix - Lee was very helpful, but since he doesn't sell Paragons and they are from the US, he didn't have the part in stock. Thanks to google, I now know more about relay serial numbers than I ever thought possible, how they match to performance, type, connector......I managed (with hubby's help) to find a supplier in the UK (an electronics supplier), but it took us so long, I ordered two, just in case the same problem occurs again - so, just to add to the list, think about support available :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: sparrow on August 30, 2010, 08:46:37 AM
I have a Paragon Caldera - slightly larger than the SC2, and I went for the adage "biggest you can afford". It was big enough to fire copper clay in (with the required tins, etc.) - another point to bear in mind is support - my relay gave out just before Easter (after a couple of years of trusty service), and it took quite a bit of kerfuffling to fix - Lee was very helpful, but since he doesn't sell Paragons and they are from the US, he didn't have the part in stock. Thanks to google, I now know more about relay serial numbers than I ever thought possible, how they match to performance, type, connector......I managed (with hubby's help) to find a supplier in the UK (an electronics supplier), but it took us so long, I ordered two, just in case the same problem occurs again - so, just to add to the list, think about support available :)

Had thought of this but the paragonkilns.co.uk address says they do repairs and are only in Dorset so I could if I had to get the kiln there.  Fortunately only a couple of hours away, or courier.  Or does anyone know different? 

Have taken breathing space into account, read that in another topic and was planning to tile around the back and one side so I could get as close as 3" to the wall.

Thanks.
Sue

julieHB

You were a bit unlucky, then, Sabine! My kiln (an SC2) wouldn't heat up after we came back from holiday a week or so ago. I called Robin from Paragon.co.uk and had a new relay the next morning..  :)

They've got all the normal paragon bits here: www.electrickilns.co.uk
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

dinah46

I think for beadmaking and small fusing projects the caldera is great, especially with a bead collar.

However, if I had to choose just one of my 3 kilns it would have to be my lovely, lovely pink maxi and the fusing would go out the window ;D  Yes, it can only do the beads but it does it so well :D

Zeldazog

I only do fusing and do it in a top loading kiln with no window and I don't open the lid - personally I don't think you need to see the stages that the glass is at to fuse it correctly. It's certainly not essential, and if fusing is not your priority, don't worry about it.

The bead cube can do everything that an SC2 can do, including fusing, enamelling and silver clay - I would have got one if they existed when I Bought my kiln.

Second to that, I do think the Caldera is a very flexible kiln, it just wasn't right for me.

AnnaSpanna

I have an SC2 and my mum has a beadcube. The beadcube is great and compact but you are very limited by what fits in - and I foudn that if you put too many mandrels in at any one time the bead door wouldn't close properly and it has to work like a drone to keep the temperature up. Also the computer control part is nearly the size of the cube itself! It is great for beading though and if your daily output isn't vast then its probably a good buy - but then you might find yourself wishing that you had gone for something a bit bigger in a few months. My SC2 is fab. I bought it second hand and it has a bead door and window (not that it's much use IMHO). I can slump coasters and jewellery bits and pieces in it and I can fit a full days' lamping in it along with perhaps another 100 beads on kebabs for batch anneal. It costs me about £2 to run a full garage and anneal program (max 8 hrs garage time) which I think is really rather reasonable. I was going to get a beadcube until this SC2 came up - and I am so glad that I went for the bigger one. I almost think that mum wishes she now had a larger kiln.....

Really it depends on how much space you are willing to relinquish to your kiln i guess - mine sits in a corner to the right of my torch on a sort of "tv dinner side table" from dunelm mill (£6 bargain) and its perfect for it - it is surprisingly compact considering its size.

Blue Box Studio

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.  After much perusing I've gone for the Paragon SC2.  Warm Glass have them delivered next week so I can hopefully collect a week today, set up in my studio and give my husband something else to worry about LOL.

I've found the threads on annealing schedules so hopefully it'll all be relatively straightforward, which'd be a first for me!

Now all I have to do is tile the wall where it'll go to give the MDF a bit of a chance, although Warm Glass said they don't get very hot and their's is pushed up against an internal wall.
Sue

cbeadies

That's great...enjoy your new kiln!  :)

Blue Box Studio

Jill, your turn to come over to me then for coffee?
Sue

cbeadies

That would be great, I'll be able to admire the new kiln... are you going to give it a name..?? Lots of people on here seem to name them, haven't thought of one for my Beadcube yet!  ::)

Blue Box Studio

I think a name depends on how much it messes me around (the new PC is Kevin, as in truculant teenager).

My friend came round to use my torch today, heard of kiln's potential arrival next Friday and has already planned which pieces she'll be fusing!  I'm hoping there's a fusing schedule for the SC2 somewhere on here, not had a chance to look.

Sue

JaySpangles

Further to AnnaSpanna's post on this thread, she is right.  I have a BeadCube, which was more than adequate for my initial output ( i would do 10-15 beads in an average session) but I have speeded (sped?) up a bit now and have just had to stop beading this afternoon as it is full. Anna can get a lot more in her PS2 than I can in my BeadCube. 
However I only have a small space in my shed, I would be pressed to fit a bigger kiln in the space the BeadCube takes up, and it is very portable.

I think maybe you have made the right decision, although it would be nice to think you could get as good backup for the Paragon as you do from Lee at Kilncare.

Blue Box Studio

The level of 'care' is my only concern but I thought that the bead cube looked so small.  If Kilncare had something bigger than the bead cube but smaller than the other kiln I wouold probably have gone for it, but I can't get bigger than a SC2 in my studio.
Sue