Best glass and frit to use with HH

Started by catriona, May 13, 2007, 08:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catriona

Can any one give advice on what is the best glass and fritt to use with a hot head and mapp i,ve just got my set up last week and still havent plucked up courage.
Thanks Catriona

Billie

COE104 glass like effetre is good.  Most frit is COE of 96 I think.  You can get the rods from Martin at Tufnells or Quinton at Glassworks.  Frit from Martin are Sam at BeadySam (smaller tubs to sample, gorgeous blends).  All are members on the forum for you to get website addresses.

Buzzybead

I don't use frit, mainly cos I haven't worked out how to roll the bead in the frit without burning myself in the torch on the way to the frit...but that is another story.
I suppose we are limited only by our pockets when it comes to glass. Moretti behaves itself on a HH, as does Lauscha and Vetrofond. I have had little to no success with the Double Helix glasses but HAVE enjoyed using the ASK104 range.
Just as a matter of interest - have you considered going 'bulk', just to save a bit more money. It's a darned sight cheaper than MAPP, which means more cash available for glass!!! ::)

Shirley

I got my starter gear from tuffnells and included a couple of kilos of mixed Effetre glass. Good range of colours, mix of transparent and opaque and plenty to play with. Martin picked out a few frits. I guess the best to start with would be a few mixes in colours that you like. Just plain ones, nothing fancy. I went for instant gratification! :)
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Isabelle

All of the above!! And if you need any help, just shout!

Les

Buzzybead

Quote from: Isabelle on May 13, 2007, 08:48:36 PM
All of the above!! And if you need any help, just shout!

Hey Matey - I'm shouting!! WHAT is the secret of DH????????

beadysam

PM me your address and fave colours - I'll see what I can rustle up for you to try... ;D

Isabelle

Hi Hun!! No secret - it just takes WAY longer than you think. it's exactly like it says in all the other threads - but where they say 'waft' it in a reducing flame - stick it in there and leave it for as long as it takes - no dancing in and out! Then I gradually reduce my stranglehold on my poor little torch and watch until the colours I want appear - they seem to come out in order- purple,then red, then blue, then green. Some DH colours work better than others - it's no secret that i can't get Terra to do anything!! gaia and kronos are both reliable. :)

Shirley

Izzy, have you got a pic of what the flame on your torch looks like for reducing? I made a foil collar and the flame is definitely bushier and the cones are more pronounced, but there is no yellow and I'm sure I read that there should be yellow?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Isabelle

I haven't got a picture - but there should be yellow. I find an old tea towel folded up works better than the foil. I hold it over the air holes and it's easy then to adjust it so the holes are only covered as much as you want them to be.  Damp the tea towel if you are of a nervous disposition!! If you completely cut off the air, you will get soot on your bead, so don't strangle the poor wee thing completely!

mams

I've found trial and error is the only way! Sometimes I've tried to do what the book says & it hasn't worked but actually turns out quite well by mistake. I guess thats the beauty of it, every bead is unique! :) I have shown people my beads & they have said how good they are but they don't know what I started out to achieve, but having said all that maybe one day I will Produce something I've set out to do! I hope this makes sense, I have had a few glasses of red this evening so I do apologise! Hic! ;D :P

Michelle.x

catriona

hi thanks for all replies .I got my starter kit from martin Tuffnil so i,ve got some  glass all ready i,ll get in touch with him to see what frit he recommends me to start with I love the effect the frit has on the beads .thanks once again catriona .x

Buzzybead

Thanks Izzy - you're the cat's pyjamas! :-*

daisybelle

Hi Everyone,
I also have a HotHead and MAPP gas setup I've tried it a couple of times with the COE 104 and it's okay - obviously practice makes perfect :P
I also recently got a small kiln for fusing purposes and my 'mentor' always uses System 96 glass for fusing so she has given me some COE 96 glass for fusing.
I know most people seem to use COE 90 for fusing, so I'm confused - if you're not meant to mix COE glass then how come most of the frit for sale is COE 96? I bought some from BeadySam yesterday and thought I was really lucky to find COE 96 frit! ;D Didn't realise that was just standard!! ;D

Do most people use the frit for fusing or lampworking???
Incidentally does anyone know where I can get COE96 rods, then I can perhaps mix a bit of lamping and fusing? When I'm much, much better at it!
Thanks, Maura