Carbon Monoxide Detector

Started by Ilona, August 13, 2010, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Krysia on August 15, 2010, 07:48:55 AM
Quote from: beadysam on August 14, 2010, 11:31:41 PM
By the way, does anyone know if there is a time limit/use by for extinguishers?

I thin there is, or at least they should be checked every so often.  It should say on the extinguisher.  If not contact the fire brigade they will definitely be able to help

We have had the extinguisher man in today so I cornered him and asked him some questions.  The Man says

Fire Extinguishers

All fire extinguishers should be tested yesrly

Every Five years the big ones (the tall plump ones) should have a discharge test

The talk skinny ones that hold CO2 (they will have a black mark on them some where) should be 'renovated' every ten years.  At this point they will actually effectively do a swap out as they need values replacing and the like.

The lovely man that has been here Ken, has advise to make sure that you get a British standards safety certificate (for BS:5306:3:2003)  this will mean that you are covered if there is a problem with the extinguisher and also you will then be covered for insurance.

Ken said that there are people in the Yellow pages that will come out and do this for you, obviously there is a cost for call out and the Certificate.  He then said that for his company based near Heathrow they would test up to 17 extinguishers on one call out so if there was a bunch of us here that wanted them done as a job lot then to take them all to the same place and they would test them all.  they would only give one certificate, but I don't see that being a problem with the wonders of modern technology and those photocopier things.  I'm sure with a discussion to the insurance people it will be fine.

He's given me his business card if there is anyone in the south north of London if anyone wants his details.

I hope that helps

Ooo I've just had a though would this be something that is worth getting sorted out for the flame off, everyone brings theirs with them and we get some one there available to test for one of the days (Subject to approval from Martin of course)  Then we could get it done yearly and we'd all have something to remind us that it needed doing? maybe? possibly?
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Dragonfire Glass

I was just thinking along the same lines Krysia, except taking mine into work for when they test those

stuwaudby

Please see my faq on gas safety: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20013.0

If you are using a reducing flame it is generating carbon monoxide.
If you are using an oxidising or neutral flame then it is generating carbon dioxide.

Carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream over a few weeks and fresh air will not make you better. Carbon dioxide will make you feel tired, ratty and give a headache but fresh air will resolve it in a couple of minutes.

The testing of fire extinguishers is a more complicated subject than you may think. The majority of "tests" are simply an inspection comprising of:

Ensure that:
The extinguisher is not blocked by equipment, coats or other objects that could interfere with access in an emergency.
The pressure is at the recommended level. On extinguishers equipped with a gauge (such as that shown on the right), the needle should be in the green zone - not too high and not too low.
The nozzle or other parts are not hindered in any way.
The pin and tamper seal (if it has one) are intact.
There are no dents, leaks, rust, chemical deposits and/or other signs of abuse/wear. Wipe off any corrosive chemicals, oil, gunk etc. that may have deposited on the extinguisher.

Maintenance should be carried out in line with the instructions of the extinguisher. This is likely to include an internal check, routine replacement and possibly a pressure test of the cylinder. It is probably more economic to replace a domestic extinguisher, check it's useby date. Suggest you place the "old" one in another location as a backup.

DO NOT TEST an extinguisher by partially discharging it. The drive gas is usually stored in a sealed cylinder, firing the extinguisher will pierce the cylinder and it will therafter slowly loose pressure. Any extinguisher which has been used (even a little bit) should be recharged or replaced.

Bear in mind that testing guidelines are written by the industry who has a vested interest in performing maintenance.

If you are running a business and especially if you have third parties on the property then you must comply with fire regulations and HSE guidelines.

I also suggest you check your house insurance, business activites may not be covered by your fire clauses.

For more information go here: http://www.fire-extinguisher101.com/

Krysia@No98

Sorry, let me clarify my earlier post,  I was in no way suggesting that anyone tests their own extinguishers,  they should only be 'tested' by professionals.

Personally, now that I know that the big extinguishers only work for 15 seconds they are not something that I would get if there wasn't a health and safety insurance requirement.  I feel that they give a false sense of security.  Personally I think a fire blanket would be far more appropriate.
Quote from: Failariel on August 17, 2010, 01:00:59 PM
I was just thinking along the same lines Krysia, except taking mine into work for when they test those

Ooo now that's a good idea.  I think I'd had one here the lovely Ken would have tested it for me at a lesser charge because he was already here.  He was very informative.

pollymitch

tragically two teenage boys died from carbon monoxide poisoning while staying a a sea side apartment in a small town near to us, they had been taking a break while waiting on their A Level results.  It was due to a faulty appliance.  Luckily their friend survived. 

Several other business in the area had to be closed while applicances that had been serviced by a local gas retailer were checked out.

You can never, ever be too careful, peace of mind is priceless!!

Blue Box Studio

If you permanently keep your cylinder outside, does it need to have some kind of cover over it?  I have the bulk set up from Martin but on a small cyclinder (3.5kg?)  I could drill holes through my wooden workshop wall but then it's either next to the outside wall (which I have to walk past to get to safety) or between my 2 workshops (not easily accessible unless I go on a radical diet). 

The extinguisher I was advised to buy when I started working with bulk torch for silver work is the kind you use on a car fire; if a big one only goes for 15 seconds, this little thing is going to sneeze and expire!  I think I might move it from by my right hand to nearer the door though.  As far as possible my hose is hooked up and under my bench and to one side as is the cylinder, both are as out of the way as I can make them - in case I managed to get my feet caught sitting on my bar stool.   Already have a CMD and I always drain the gas off the hose before I pack up for the night after turning off the cylinder.  So what else should I, as a newbie, be doing?

Doesn't help that husband always says 'that looks dangerous dear' when he sees me working with anything lit!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on August 17, 2010, 08:13:33 PM
if a big one only goes for 15 seconds, this little thing is going to sneeze and expire! 

This was my thinking.

From what you have said it seems to me that you are being careful and sensible and really that's the best thing you can do.  Time to tell your hubby to breath and that it will all be fine

Blue Box Studio

You'd think hubby could do the breathing bit - he teaches and practises Heart Rhythm Meditation but seems to hyperventilate when he sees me loose with pyrotechnics.
Sue

Krysia@No98

I am man hunting on the internet at the mo and I have made it very clear that I play with fire so hopefully it will put the slightly jumpy off!  ;D

madpup

Quote from: Krysia on August 18, 2010, 07:37:09 AM

I am man hunting on the internet at the mo and I have made it very clear that I play with fire so hopefully it will put the slightly jumpy off!  ;D

juessues, that scares the shi* out of me, slightly jumpy!! are you kidding, i just jumped through a glass window, lol
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: madpup on October 14, 2010, 11:03:07 PM
Quote from: Krysia on August 18, 2010, 07:37:09 AM

juessues, that scares the shi* out of me, slightly jumpy!! are you kidding, i just jumped through a glass window, lol

Not sure that's enough to get you nominated for a Darwin Award, but it's a good try.
Sue

Krysia@No98

Pat from Canvey

For those that get uptight about Carbon monoxide, please read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide

Tills

Nice one Pat  ;D

I have one, for the sake of £10 I think it is worth every penny!  :)

Pat from Canvey

Clinical trials of small amounts of carbon monoxide as a drug, are on-going. So you see small amounts are not toxic. Similarly small amounts are produced when you burn candles at home ,    http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101023022119AAWW1SK , how many of you worry about burning fragranced candles? The majority of detectors are used near the central heating boiler which. if not properly maintained, can produce copious amounts of carbon monoxide and produce the fatalities that are reported in the press. An open window mitigates any danger. Low levels of carbon monoxide in the blood are completely normal, see http://www.carbon-monoxide-survivor.com/carbon-monoxide-levels-in-the-body.html for information on carbon monoxide in the bloodstream.