Carbon Monoxide Detector

Started by Ilona, August 13, 2010, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilona

I just wanted to make sure that anyone that is lampworking as one of these.

I have mine in my caravan studio, and it went off for the first time today :o I had the door open and extractor on. As soon as I opened more windows it stopped.

It makes me shudder to think what if I hadn't had one of these ???

jobead

Yup I have one, it's never gone off but I feel safer knowing it's there.

Sulis (Hazel)

Blimey Ilona!  :o  I don't have one...that's made me think. I'll get one today - no point taking chances for the cost of a detector. They're not even expensive these days.

Glad you had one and that you're OK!

xx
Hazel x

Krysia@No98

I've got one too.  Mine hasn't gone of either, but it is reassuring to know that it's there.

On the plus side at least you know yours works  ;)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

GaysieMay

OMG we have two, both still in boxes, one for the house one for the garage.  Will get them out immediately and put them up!
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Ilona

I am pleased to hear that if anything it's made a few of you think about these detectors:) I am shocked though that my extractor and the door open wasn't strong enough to clear the fumes.

Blue Box Studio

I read on here it was a good idea to have one so have.  I even test it weakly, more than the house fire alarm (oops).  Having once fallen asleep in a room with a mobile gas fire, when they were fashionable in the 80s, and only waking when the gas ran out, I know how easy it can be.I dread to think what would have happened if the gas hadn't run out.

I keep my windows open, extractor on when I'm torching but might be different in the depths of winter.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

beadysam

Mines only gone off when its battery was low - and it scared  me almost to death!  Wouldn't be without it though.  Cost me £20 about 5 years ago, but they are probably a bit cheaper now. 

By the way, does anyone know if there is a time limit/use by for extinguishers?

dawn

They have these on offer in Lloyds Chemist at the moment.

Krysia@No98

Quote from: beadysam on August 14, 2010, 11:31:41 PM
By the way, does anyone know if there is a time limit/use by for extinguishers?

I thin there is, or at least they should be checked every so often.  It should say on the extinguisher.  If not contact the fire brigade they will definitely be able to help
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Dragonfire Glass

Mine is now in the kitchen near the boiler, not in with me. The gas man said it was advisable to have one there. Mine has never gone off, but I will think about getting a second one  :)
The fire alarm gets tested every time we fry something and forget to close the kitchen door  :D

Zeldazog

I've thought about getting one of these, have had those colour changing ones before, and certainly should when we get Ashley set up with the torch

Just come across this on Tesco Direct for under £14http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=200-0450 - says it's a one year alarm but it appears to have replaceable batteries and the model number (in the photo) is exactly the same as this on the manufacturer's page with a 7 year warranty:

http://www.fireangeldirect.co.uk/section.php?xSec=7&jssCart=c2e1cc32d19471bb605d4ac1e6bf5849

That was my first search, so might find even cheaper!

Blue Box Studio

Forget which but mine's one of the more accessible makes - Fire Angel?  It did say on the packaging that it's a shelf lilfe of I think 5 years.  Don't think they last forever, or that it's just a case of replacing the battery.  I read them all in Homebase, was there ages and this seemed the best of the bunch for the price.  They all seem to be subtely different, might be best to decide which one you want in a shop and then see if you can  get it cheaper online.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Ilona

I have been at the torch again tonight and mine as not gone off again, so I do think it was the fumes that set it off.

My detector was a free one from the council :) and I am glad I have it.

flaming beads

Oh my!!...must look into this...we've got one from British Gas that i have in one of the childrens rooms as it's where the boiler is!...must pop it in with me to see what it does!...