Main Menu

925 punches

Started by helenfc, July 02, 2010, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helenfc

Hello, I have a ring (under 7.78g) and I forsee doing a few more similar, and I would like to punch a '925' onto it. I'm aware this isnt a real hallmark etc, but since it is under legal weight anyway, I'm happy to just buy a 925 punch from cooksons for myself. But, question is for rings, which one do I need? There are 4 options, straight sunk punch, swan necklet sunk punch, straight cut in punch and swan necklet cut in punch. The one I need has to be suitable for rings. thanks :)

ScarletLeonard

I know you need a swan neck punch though it would take a little more knowledge to say which one is best.

Scarlet xx

helenfc

ok, I think its a sunk one but just needed reassurance :) is the general rule swan neck ones for rings? thanks scarlet  ;)

mizgeorge

always a swan neck for rings, so you can strike without the shank getting in the way.

I tend to stamp before I fabricate whenever possible - means you can use a straight punch (which is much easier to support accurately).

helenfc

thanks george. so technically, if I left this ring unstamped, I could stamp the wire with a straight punch before soldering etc if I wanted to make another one? cheers  :)
ps. is it the sunk or cut-in one I need?

mizgeorge

Yes to both!

You do want sunk, but I have to say, for own use, I wouldn't necessarily pay Cookson prices. I get my diy punches here:

http://www.t4j.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=44&zenid=d0f01f4a7e16e6e5c080c5ccd39f838a

helenfc

george you just saved me £20!! thank you lovely   :-* :-* :-*