Selling finished goods Silver

Started by chipperpottery, June 29, 2010, 03:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nia

Quote from: jammie on June 29, 2010, 07:21:37 PM
Is that right that you have to display this notice at a craft fair even if everyhting you sell is under the 7.8gms I have noticed some sellers dont have, are they wrong in doing this ...me included in the dont have actually !

Yes, you do. I'd forgotten to take mine with me once, three years ago at the Royal Welsh Show, and at that time my jewellery wasn't silver-heavy so I obviously didn't have a hallmark. I didn't think it would matter, but Trading Standards noticed, and told me not to leave it behind again!
Nia xx
www.gemwaithnia.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/gemwaithnia/

jammie

Ah, okay I will get one sorted then. Thanks !  :)

Nick

You have to by law display the notice if you are selling any precious metal regardless of weight but if you use the link in my previous post you can download it for free

regards

Nick

mizgeorge

Quote from: ARBeads on June 29, 2010, 04:35:39 PM
We wanted to use a cranked punch for our makers mark as we thought this would do for everything - NOT the case, the lady at Birmingham informed us that they were only for use on rings and we would still need a straight punch therefore doubling the cost. This seems to be a petty rule and I've read recently in B&B that others have got away with this  ???

Actually, it's a bit more complicated than that. A proper swan necked punch is also slightly domed at the face, and is designed to be used solely on rings. Using it in place of a straight punch on a flat piece can lead to mispunching and uneven marks. I know a couple of the assay offices will allow it, but having seen the marks struck, I can see why it makes sense to have both. Alternatively, you can just have a laser setup and no punch at all.

ARBeads

Thanks for that reply George - it now makes sense, why couldn't birmingham have explained the difference between the punches instead just giving us a no.

Ruth
x
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

paintboxcrafts

Sorry to ask for yet more clarification. I am doing a fair shortly and want to be legal, so I am right to say that if all my sterling silver findings etc add up to less than 7.78g, and I display the Dealer's notice that I have downloaded, I can describe my jewellery as made with sterling silver?
www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

mizgeorge

Quote from: paintboxcrafts on July 01, 2010, 10:58:47 AM
Sorry to ask for yet more clarification. I am doing a fair shortly and want to be legal, so I am right to say that if all my sterling silver findings etc add up to less than 7.78g, and I display the Dealer's notice that I have downloaded, I can describe my jewellery as made with sterling silver?

Yes :)

paintboxcrafts

www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

Nick

kathsd

thank heavens other people asking all the questions I'd like answers to! :D
I tried the Edinburgh Assay office who said that the student deal didn't include part time students, pah! I think I may try the London Office after Redkite's post. thank you for the information.

mirri marie

I have a quick question if anyone can help, do I need to give an explanation/link to regs on my website or is the dealers notice purely for displaying at public events?
Thank you  :D

Nick

Hi,
When I asked at the assay office they confirmed that it is not compulsory to display a dealers notice on a web page but it may give a potential customer more confidence by displaying the dealers notice. As such it is not a premises but for ease of explanation if it is for anywhere that a customer can handle the goods directly then you must display the notice/poster. (IE craft fair, shop, your living room if you are doing a jewellery party from there).

mirri marie

SueP

Just resurrecting this thread with another question - what about hill tribe and Bali silver and the like which is over 92.5% pure does the hall mark rule still apply? :)

MadelineBunyan

yes, hallmarking still applies to over 92.5 stuff, if its 99.9 or over it can be hallmarked as 999, if its over 92.5 but under 99.9 it would get hallmarked as 925 if it requires hallmarking.

when the assay office marks something as 925 it is guaranteed to have at least 92.5% silver in it