Recommend a good pokey tool?

Started by Mand, June 18, 2010, 03:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Margram

Quote from: Mand on June 21, 2010, 10:09:05 AM
Quote from: MangoBeads on June 18, 2010, 05:55:28 PM
http://www.mangobeads.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

our A3 Japanese Bead Shaper with Lake . Very sharp and pointy !

Looks interesting - what would you use the "lake" for? Not heard of that before?
I've seen that too, Mand - I've always assumed it was a misspelling of 'rake'...
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Maikki

I bought one from Mand at the Flame Off. I do not know the others, but I use the lake end a lot and like it. It is good, if the brass paddle´s sharp end is too bulky or razor is too thin for the purpose in hand. I often flatten dots with it too, so use it as a very small paddle.

Only problem is that the pokey end is pretty good too and you can not use another end very quickly after you have used the other end, because it is all metal and not very long, so you have to wait till the other end has cooled. I think you can guess how I got that knowledge...
Maija-Leena

beadysam

Quote from: Maikki on June 22, 2010, 09:35:19 AM
I bought one from Mand at the Flame Off. I do not know the others, but I use the lake end a lot and like it. It is good, if the brass paddle´s sharp end is too bulky or razor is too thin for the purpose in hand. I often flatten dots with it too, so use it as a very small paddle.

Only problem is that the pokey end is pretty good too and you can not use another end very quickly after you have used the other end, because it is all metal and not very long, so you have to wait till the other end has cooled. I think you can guess how I got that knowledge...

Pop a length of heat shrink plastic on it, and you will have a handle in the middle!

Maikki

Thanks Sam. The handle part is not the problem, it is just that because the tool is quite short, it is quite difficult (for me at least) to keep it in a good positon without hot part touching some place of my hand. Maybe I should get me another one! But anyway, I like the tool very much, it is my one of my favourites already and I have had it only about two months. I have practiced to use heart press lately and found out it is great for finishing heart beads too, I use both ends to them.
Maija-Leena

Magpie

Do you not dunk it in water between goes? I thought we were meant to, to keep them cool enough that glass won't stick. Would that cool them down enough to turn them round? Or does it damage the tool and we're not meant to do it?

Maikki

That is a good idea! Thanks, I´ll try that next time. I dunk it and tungsten and whatever I use to water, if I poke with them several time in a short period and have not seen it damaging them.

(Why I did not think that myself...)
Maija-Leena

Nick

Hi, haven't tried it but this may be worth a look

regards

Nick

Hi again, I suppose it helps if you put the link in!!! Da
http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Shaping_.html

Regards
(again)