Fine Silver

Started by chipperpottery, June 16, 2010, 12:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipperpottery

I am making some simple beads out of Cim cool colours and would lik to wrap silver around the middle of them, but it seems to leave a dark line around the silver, what am I doing wrong please.
Rita

flaming beads

I use fine silver a lot and sometimes depending on the colour used there can be a darker line!...what cim colours are you using?
georgie :)

chipperpottery

Hi Georgie, I am using Chai and Dirty Martini, I thought with silver around them they would look nice, but I don't like the line.
Does this line always happen? As you can tell I am still learning.
Rita

Redhotsal

Silver, even fine silver, will react with some colours. So you will get a dark line. And your pink beads will go yellow if you put lots of silver wire on them. It's just how it is.

Many people quite like the reaction and of course silver on ivory is a magical combination which is much used by bead makers. Some colours just don't react with silver at all. It all depends on what chemicals are in the base glass.

If you do want silver wire to appear on a bead without the reaction you could try encasing the base colour with clear.

But avoid CIM clear or Lauscha clear as they tend to go yellow.

To minimise the black lines don't heat it up as much.

chipperpottery

Thanks Sally. O'h by the way your DVDs are a god send when I get stuck. Good luck in you new venture.
Rita

flaming beads