Main Menu

glow in the dark boro

Started by Steampunkglass, June 14, 2010, 02:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

Has anyone tried any of the glow in the dark or blacklight reflecting boro?

I've got some glow in the dark powder, I've managed to get it into clear boro, but when I try to put it in marbles and pendants the extra heat or reheating it kills it  :( Also it makes alot of bubbles, I think it's better suited to fusing.

I've seen that Plowdens offer an Electric Flamingo and Atomic Kumquat that react to blacklight (how can I not be tempted by a colour called Atomic Kumquat!) and I've seen US sites occasionally offering Uranium green, but I was wondering if anyone here had any experiance of these before I spend any pennies?

Flyingcheesetoastie

Hi Glenn,

I'm friends on FB with Joe Imlar of Glow Glass who I'm sure would be able to help with using their powders with boro and they have also started making rods and frits with it already in.

I've got a sample bag but have only ever using it with furnace blowing and that was ages ago so I'm hoping it doesn't expire!  I think you have to use it quite heavily to get it to stick and glow, but I could be wrong.  I'm also drawn to all things glowing, so have a stash of Uranium glass here too!

HTH

Rachel

beadysam

I've got some glow glass that was used for dildos, I bought it on LE years ago.  I can't remember the COE (though I have it written down somewhere) and I've never used it, but I think its probably boro.  I think its slightly off coe if I remember rightly and only safely compatable with itself.

I've just realised this is no use to you at all - sorry! ::)

Steampunkglass

Thanks Rachel, that is very helpful, I found their site and the Glow Stix look just the ticket!

I'll have to give the powder another go too, I can get a nice glowing stringer with the powder but it seems to stop working when I use it, maybe I am not using enough of it afterall

Steampunkglass

I so hope that dildo glass wasn't the old radioactive stuff!

Found a video made by Joe Imlar using the powder to make stringers!  ;D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bod8ExKf4gs I'm off to try again!  ;D

Steampunkglass

I think I have it sorted!

https://www.creativeglassguild.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=68_594 do some of the glow powders, and they mention te white and orange ones seem to need a lower temperature - and it was the white I was using! I've since got some aqua which seems to have alot more glow, and managed to put that into a pendant and it still glows!  ;D ;D I haven't annealed them yet, which will be the final test, but if they stand up to melting glass I am sure they will survive that.

I also discovered the other two blacklight colours haven't been made by GA for 8 years, which explains why they don't have any info on their website about them!