show and tell archive

Started by mummydude, July 15, 2010, 06:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fessler Forge

So I just got ahold of some 22k gold and thought I would give gold and silver fuming a try. I'm far from getting the colors I was hoping for but I'm sure that will come with practice. Any tips from fumers out there? I know that silver acts best when a light caramel color is achieved. Is there a similar sweet spot for gold too? Do you fume until it's completely reflective or still a bit transparent? Or is it just a stylistic preference depending on what you are trying to achieve? Thanks for any input.

Here is a pic of my first test.

Hope this is an okay place to post this. It says "Tried out something new"

Scott
Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness. Freedom discovers man/woman the moment he/she loses concern over what impression he/she is making or about to make.
~ Bruce Lee

Hamilton Taylor

Hi Scott,
I have good results fuming gold with a reducing flame - a bit less reducing (closer to neutral) than with silver, maybe. It does take a higher temp tho' - I think that's why it seems to require a neutral to oxy flame - more heat. When I sat down to think this through, it occurred to me that an oxidising flame would do just that - oxidise the silver and gold, when what we want is reduced metal. So, I use a reducing flame.
The other thing I have noticed is that gold fumes in a narrow temperature band - if it gets too hot, the fume stops. I find I have to 'bounce' the gold in and out of the flame to find the fumey spot.
A picture of one of my gold-fumed baubles - mostly only a light fume, but you can see a little reflecty bit on the shoulder where the heavier fume has caught the light. I've tried with implosions, but can't get the fume to develop nicely yet. It does seem that a lighter fume will give the nice green veils, and a heavier one will give pinks and iridescence, but as to being able to control it - a ways to go yet.

flowerjasper

Had a lovely package this week including cool earth ,cool colour,
It is fab, really really lovely, these photos dont really show the colours

have you tried any of the other cool colours?
i aso got some effetre sunset, but have only got dull pinky not the lovely rich colours in the pictures any tips?
sandy x

garishglobes

I followed Sean's advice yesterday. I fumed silver and then gold, silver with a reducing flame and gold with a less reducing flame (but still reducing). The results are below. The flower (with apologies for the bubbles!) is an implosion of Amber Purple over the fume, the vortex has stripes of clear, Amber Purple, NS Yellow and GA Dragon's Blood. The clear is Simax. The Amber Purple seems to be making lovely shiny greens with this method. I have to say that I'm having a lot more luck with marbles and fuming than pendants - the minute I try to turn an imploded and fumed flower into a pendant, I lose it completely.

Fumed flower marble by A flame with desire, on Flickr

Fumed vortex marble by A flame with desire, on Flickr

Josephine

I've spent the last three days on a course with Julie Denton trying to recreate the Pagan Lady necklace. The original is made from beads found in a grave on the Isle of Man dating from Viking times. Julie was commissioned to make an exact replica which took her some months. We did our best in three days.

It was very interesting trying to make beads that were a bit unevenly shaped, looked like they had bits broken of the end, pitted etc. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking through pictures in my History of Beads to find some other other ancient beads to see if I can recreate them. We made our own murini too.

Here are some photos of mine. Julia (pandanimal) was on the course too so she might come along with some photos of hers as well.

paganlady by Josephine Wadman, on Flickr

paganlady4 by Josephine Wadman, on Flickr

paganlady2 by Josephine Wadman, on Flickr

paganlady1 by Josephine Wadman, on Flickr

Magpie

.... into MERMAIDS  ;D ;D ;D

Mermaids by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr

A bit of devit on one, and another is still downstairs waiting to go back into the kiln for a bit of 'surgery' on her tail fins, and I know one went ping, but I think I fixed her before she went into the kiln. They're more tricky than goddesses, just keeping that amount of glass warm!

I'm happy with them and even hubby commented, without being prompted, asked his opinion or even told they were sat there!  :D

GaysieMay

I absolutely loved a photo that Jennie posted (I think it was on fb - but I can't find it now) that had her dog Milly and a Claudia doggy bead.  So I decided to see if I could do one of Maggie my dog.  I used layers of stringer on a pink cab, I cracked the first one as I forgot to keep heating the back, this is less than perfect, especially the eyes, but it was fun to make.

Maggie and Maggie Bead 017 by GaysieMay, on Flickr

www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Jennie Lamb

I bought some murrine from (LoriandKim) Lori Peterson's website last week and having made what I was planning to make with the cupcake ones I had a pile of happy murrine smiling at me from my bench so I had a mad moment and did this.  There are lots of pics as I Photographed it from all angles....20 murrine and all ok but I nearly passed out holding my breath whilst I was doing it and a big thank you to Julie HB for her Murrine Bootcamp Class I think I have finally got the hang of them.....

AND YES IT IS BIG.................4cm/40mm in diameter approximately!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I've been playing with ladybirds since HelenV shared her great tutorial with us and I'm finally happy I have a version that works for me.... My fave is a red, white and blue one (no pic though  :() that is now incorporated into my mum's Jubilee necklace  ;D ;D ;D

Lampy Ladybirds by Rockin' Beads, on Flickr

Show us your ladybirds  :) :) :)

MyPrecious

With triple layered petals and all! ;D

The middle ones are 12mm and the miniature ones on either side are about 5-6mm florals.

Tiny Violet Skies by Kathryn Greer, on Flickr

Tiny Cocoa Lavender by Kathryn Greer, on Flickr

And a comparison photo where you see my normal sized bead (pink bead) which is about 15mm x 12mm and the tiny one which is 12mm x 12mm :

Comparison between the tiny and the normal sized beads by Kathryn Greer, on Flickr

The two sets were a custom order. :)

Thanks for looking!
Kathy

My website

tinker

Well I'm off to Malta to a very well-to-do wedding (dress apparently cost £7k!) with the beautiful rich people and I wanted something fabulous to go with me £20 matalan number lol!  I don't think I've ever actually made myself anything quite so lovely and I've certainly never had such a big set so I'm all good to go! Thanks to a chance purchase at flameoff of a FenG frit that happens to be absolutely perfect for the job :) I even made myself some diddy widdy studs as I have more than one piercing.

The background is the off-cut from the dress - had to take it up by 15cm as I'm such a shortie  ::)

Wedding jewellery 1 by Kat Newman, on Flickr

Wedding jewellery 2 by Kat Newman, on Flickr

Wedding jewellery 3 by Kat Newman, on Flickr

Kalorlo

Finally got round to photographing what I made on Astrid's course (which was fab, by the way!)

I made the two smaller lentils on the first day - I rather wish I'd grabbed Astrid's enormous lentil press then too, because then I'd have had more space to fit all the decoration we were doing on them!

I made the huuuge wigwag lentil and the silver glass crunch bead (and enamel murrini) on the second day, and on the third day we did the 3D flower murrini.

See the last pic for scale: I overfilled the huge lentil so that's even bigger, but it's a big, big deep lentil. I'm feeling a need for more big presses...

Beadbug

Hi
I have been having a play with Gaffer Blue Chalcedony and Chalcedony frit.  I have not quite mastered this wonderful glass yet, but am quite pleased with the colours of the first beads that I have made with this glass.

(mod edit to make picture visible)

Angie

I've been making these types of beads and cabochons for a while but have only just worked out (yet again) how to post photos so here's what I've been up to.

DSCF1846 by terrangela, on Flickr

DSCF1867 by terrangela, on Flickr

DSCF1847 by terrangela, on Flickr

DSCF1875 by terrangela, on Flickr

DSCF1865 by terrangela, on Flickr

hope these arnt too big.
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...